body poppin' activa

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xactiva

body poppin' activa

Post by xactiva »

who knows why my activa, instead of going up and down smoothly, jerks and pops up and down like some chicano mexican lowrider with trick suspension?
Is it air in the system perhaps?
It pretends to behave itself then will suddenly drop or jump up for no apparent reason.
Any clues?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

When was the accumulator sphere last changed? How frequently is the pump clicking?
xactiva

Post by xactiva »

pump hardly clicking at all... no idea on the accumulator
this is not a slow thing it quite literally hops up or drops very suddenly. not sinking or rising fast
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Seems to me a Gremlin in the electronics. Then most likely a cable/connector problem.
The mechanics involved in the hydraulics system would hardly be able to cause such stumble action. An electric regulator valve somewhere would however be able to cause the problem. These valves are able to open/close in milliseconds.
AFAIR you have a fore & aft electric valve involved in the Activa system, situated somewhere in the harsh environment under the car.
To pinpoint further the problem, we need to know if your Activa jumps front AND rear, or only 1 end.
Jumps front AND rear : typical chassis (earth) connector block problem, collecting amongst others, the 2 valve's electrical chassis (earth) side. Could also be the multiconnector to ECU block somewhere.
Jumps 1 end only : typical connector problem on the valve in question.
Either problem, it requires a good knowledge on components/cable locations in your Activa - which I do not have [:o)]
BEFORE we use time & money on sophisticated problem solutions, I'd try give your Activa some Citaerobics, to vent any air in the suspension :
Find a cup of tea (or if you prefer : coffee), pull the handbrake, gear in neutral, start engine, let idle.
Adjust your seat for most comfortable rest.
Adjust your stereo for your most beloved music.
Have a sip on your tea/coffee.
With an attitude like you were driving your Queen's RR (works best with white gloves), command your Activa to sit HIGH. Allow it due time to really settle.
Sip your tea/coffee.
Then command your Activa to SIT (low), allowing it to grunch and protest untill it really settles.
Repeat this exercise 3 - 5 times, ending in low, then reset to normal height.
This will vent all air from the suspension, and also give you clues on any supension height regulation problems.
I ca'nt blame you, if you now prefer spending the rest of the night in your Activa (more tea/coffee), but that's not my problem....[^]
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Mine Activa also does this, at the back end only, almost every time it's started up.
It will gently arrive at the correct ride height, then the back will drop quickly and then rise slowly.
No idea if the accumulator sphere has been replaced, but I doubt it ~ only 57 000 miles, and the pump clicks at 8 second intervals typ.
I have raised and lowered it over and over, but it persists.
I need to hydraflush it soon, and will be interested to see if it is any better for a good clean out.
Simon.
xactiva

Post by xactiva »

Thanks Anders, but the coffee didn't get a look in....
It does the body popping at both ends but I have recently found a broken rod to which my rear height corrector is connected which is "twanging " in and out of position under the car and upsetting EVERYTHING!!! so I will fix this first and see if that helps at all.
I gather on normal Xantias the rear height corrector is connected to the anti roll bar but as that is not possible in an Activa, Citroen have come up with a patheticly weak aluminium crossbar instead . which , needless to say, has Bust!.
Also while lying under my exercising ( High, Low, Middle, High, Low, Middle)car with WD40 dripping onto my forhead from the seized up height corrector linkage, I also noticed a load of play in the bottom linkage from the Activa ram on the suspension strut.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hmm - hmmm.
Seems to be a lot looking forward to, once (in future) my old BX's are replaced by (then likewise old) Xantia's.
I guess the bad repute the Xantia has got here in DK (whole world ?), may come exactly from the Activa model. A poor citroen experiment, which made the Xantia act (very) safe at high speeds, but on behalf of the (former) wellknown Citroen drive comfort.
On the other hand the more comfortable Hydractive models, have TOO complicated electronics, with the wellknown poor electric systems quality & reliability in french cars.
In DK the C5 has now reportedly had 5 instances of self-burning, the C3 some more instances (more C3's sold). God only to be thanked for no personal injuries yet. With the total lack of Citroen importer & dealers public information on this, Citroen have finally lost any repute left. Despite the reborn Citroen flying carpet comfort in the C5.