V6 Exclusive points of view

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

V6 Exclusive points of view

Post by MikeT »

I've been asked to check out a local Xantia for sale and would like some pointers on what to check for specifically with the V6. I'm aware of the suspension and strut, matrix issues etc so no need to cover those but it's an Auto and an Exclusive of which I know nothing.

The owner says the passenger seat back collapses backwards and has been quoted silly money to fix it.
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

it will be much like your Xantia, not much special mechanically

check all gears engage, that it fires well, take it for a drive make sure the hydractive is kicking in as it should. good luck i hope you get it
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hullo Mike, this would not be the silver one on Ebay with the busted drivers seat? It has bounced about on Ebay a few times and was supposedly sold for £950 back in June. The seller has been rather quiet on why the deal did not go through.

If you do go to check it out look at the steering rack for leaks, any signs of overheating, general condition of the radiator, etc. I would be interested to know what you thought of it.

Although Citroen spares are not cheap, some parts for these can be breath-taking.

By the way, I have already made him an offer for the car.

Handyman
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike,

On a V6 that may be going for serious money, you need to be assured that the cambelt/waterpump has been done and that the transmission has had its fluid changed. Assured with proof positive not just a verbal.

Any service history is good as even spark plugs are not easy to do.

If no record of either, be prepared to fork out, even on a DIY basis, for a fair expense and hard work.

If the mileage is in excess of 150K and no gearbox fluid change records, then the gearbox, in my opinion, is on borrowed time. Listen foe whines from the gearbox when cold/just started up. If it whines, make an excuse and run away unless you fancy following what I did in my blog :lol:

Check the HP pump and regulator for leaks. The pump is V6 unique and eyewateringly expensive. Ditto alternator and starter motor.

Check the exhaust system. Again, painfully expensive.

Most things on a V6 are expensive but by golly, they're worth every penny :D

Otherwise, as for any Xantia.

EDIT: Hi Handyman :D Good to see you back! How goes it?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Coolant header tanks split, and any overheating will wreck the thermostat so check it from cold, if the rad gets warm straight away then the stat will need replacing which is about as easy as changing the cam belt!

Heated seats fail, as can the pnuematic lumbar support system.

Cruise control can have problems with split vacuum pipes and brake pedal switch.

Check the aircon works too, look for bubbles in the sight glass, which is a bad thing.

Rear windows on Exclusives are electric so worth checking them out.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Between my 2 V6 Xantia, I have had most of the faults listed above :wink:

At idle the engine should be quiet, with just a soft ticking from injectors and tappets, any loud tapping is a sign for worry. The hydraulic tappets are allowed to be very noisy for about 5 seconds after an overnight stop.

Also check that the passenger mirror dips when reverse is selected.
Check that the correct quota of warning lights come on with the ignition, and go off after starting the engine.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thanks everyone, all duly noted. Off to see it this morning but I don't have high hopes going by the description and initial talk on the phone.
handyman wrote:Hullo Mike, this would not be the silver one on Ebay with the busted drivers seat?.....By the way, I have already made him an offer for the car.
Yes, you got it. When I asked the seller (on the phone) how long he'd had it I was told 3 weeks and he went on to explain the wife was driving it for a while and said all was well then when he got in the passenger seat he fell backwards :lol: and was quoted too much to repair so is selling.

I suspect this is a walk away job but as it's nearby it's worth a look, his asking price is £500. He complained to me about one viewer that went through checking everything (isn't that what you're meant to do?) and offered him £200 - was that you Handyman? :lol:
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

xantia_v6 wrote:Also check that the passenger mirror dips when reverse is selected.
That will only occur if it's been set up in the first place and quite a few haven't in my experience.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Nice people, lovely home and they're Citroen lovers! Their son is a keen fanatic so some of you may have already met him as I saw CCC handbooks and literature. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't read this forum!

Anyway, without a test drive I had to say no. I couldn't find any major problem except the drivers seat won't stay up, the HP might be leaking and the exhaust slightly blowing mid to rear. A/C was ice cold, engine started straight away with no unsual noises though the fumes smelt overly rich to me, even for a cold start. No coolant pressurising and could taste antifreeze ok. Front tyres evenly worn, suspension went up quickly and smoothly, steering rack/pinion area bone dry, A/C ice cold etc. Service book stamps including cambelt at 68K though no receipts I could see showing service detail.

Shame about the seat as a test drive is the deal-clincher IMO.
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

The owner says the passenger seat back collapses backwards and has been quoted silly money to fix it.
Could you not get an exclusive seat set from ebay to fit, quite a few here have done this?
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A shame Mike, a seat should never have been a deal-breaker. I'm sure it'll be repairable with not too much difficulty and I'm sure something could be done pro-tem to keep the back up. In extremis, you could transplant the seat from your TD Mike.

Otherwise, it seems a good, honest buy. I searched out the eBay ad.

They do smell a bit rich on starting, quite normal. Don't forget it's a big six cyliner petrol :D

Exhaust leak most likely just the clamp between middle and back sections.

Interestingly, there's another V6 in Exeter on offer with LPG that does not work. eBay Link.

One for you Kev, perhaps? If it goes cheaply enough, as it has no reserve, it might be worth it for the LPG system. Sid?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Whilst I'd love to fill up my parking spaces with spare part & project cars, the missus would kill me...
As for weather its worth it for the LPG kit alone would depend on what type of LPG system it is, and how well its fitted, i.e. with care of just bungled in. For a single point I'd not be interested, their quite cheap, but more than that its not something I would fit to a V6.. a decent setup multi-point would be worth it probably up to £500, as not all parts are 100% reusable, a DIY multipoint 6 cylinder kit can be had for about £800.

Repair wise I can't imagine their being much that cant be fixed on a LPG system, should all be fairly easy, all parts are available, even the tuning software and cables.

LPG in a V6 would be nice indeed, with a decent multi-point there should be almost no power drop off either.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

CitroJim wrote: Interestingly, there's another V6 in Exeter on offer with LPG that does not work. eBay Link.

One for you Kev, perhaps? If it goes cheaply enough, as it has no reserve, it might be worth it for the LPG system. Sid?
:twisted: I've trained myself not to look at autotrader or ebay motors just incase I did accidently buy another car :lol: I was nearly a 2 Xantia owner just before last christmas :oops:
After looking at that link im getting that temptation again :oops: :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

CitroJim wrote:A shame Mike, a seat should never have been a deal-breaker. I'm sure it'll be repairable with not too much difficulty and I'm sure something could be done pro-tem to keep the back up. In extremis, you could transplant the seat from your TD Mike.

Otherwise, it seems a good, honest buy. I searched out the eBay ad.

They do smell a bit rich on starting, quite normal. Don't forget it's a big six cyliner petrol :D

Exhaust leak most likely just the clamp between middle and back sections.

Interestingly, there's another V6 in Exeter on offer with LPG that does not work. eBay Link.

Something very fishy with that Xantia. Its down as a 99, V reg, BUT has

- Phase I Citroen Badge
- Phase I rear brake and revease lights
- Phase I Interiour

So i'm very confused.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Quackers wrote:
Something very fishy with that Xantia. Its down as a 99, V reg, BUT has

- Phase I Citroen Badge