Z.X. Gearbox Oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chevron Terry
My Cars:

Z.X. Gearbox Oil

Post by Chevron Terry »

Hi ,
I have no History of the Gearbox Oil being changed in my 1995 , manual box .
Should I be buying Oil from my Citroen Dealer ? Which one ?
Are there any tools I would need to buy to do the job ?
Many thanks
Terry .
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Terry,

Good idea to change it. It might well have the wrong grade in there anyway if someone has changed it without an understanding of the needs of the gearbox.

You must only use a 75W/80 oil specifically for Peugeot and Citroen Gearboxes and nothing else.

Total BV is the recommended but Comma 75W/80 is good. It says on the bottle that it's specifically for Peugeot and Citroen gearboxes. Don't be foised off with anything else. 75W/80 is the ONLY oil to use.

No special tools required. Drain it via the 21mm plug on the diff housing and refill until oil runs out of the 19mm fill/level check bolt on the side of the gearbox The plug looks like on of the bolts holding the tin end-cover on but is in fact the fill/lecvel plug and bigger than the others. You'll need about 1.7 litres.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chevron Terry
My Cars:

ZX gearbox Oil

Post by Chevron Terry »

Thanks CitroJim ,
I have just been in touch with my local Citroen Garage , Who tell me that , The Gearbox Oil , is for "life " ! and does "nt need changing ! and I would be silly to do so .
Can this really be correct ?
Regards
Terry .
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: ZX gearbox Oil

Post by CitroJim »

Chevron Terry wrote:Can this really be correct ?
No, it is not correct Terry! Not in my book anyway..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

What is it with car companies/dealers and this "sealed for life" mumbo-jumbo.
Even the most well engineered expensive, super, ultra, wizard, ninja, oil will break down eventually or get contaminated by other components breaking down.

Sealed for life... Bunk, Bunk I say.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P