rad fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

topper2
My Cars:

rad fans

Post by topper2 »

just a quck one.
are the radiator fans supposed to both come on at the same time .
on a 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia ?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: rad fans

Post by DickieG »

topper2 wrote:just a quck one.
are the radiator fans supposed to both come on at the same time .
on a 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia ?
Yes.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

hi have a look around for my post other week about them.Clogzz give's you all the run down on the system init.proberly one's going wonky.take brown plug on filter housing(bitron)think same place/type plug as 1.9 td? with ign on that should put them on full speed then try to tap fan in middle with rod type thing (something not to pointed incase you miss/slip?)or take top grill off.then move it abit if not responding to tap as sometimes motor spindle/brushes get cacked and don't make contact inside.
just becarefull with pinkies???
xantia 19td estate 96-7
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I had the over heating problems caused by one of the fans. The brushes were worn out. Fan motor replacement solved the problem.
Cloggz have lots of useful information and pictures on this issue.

- Aircon Xantias have 2 fans that both runs at the same time (low and high speed)
- When the aircon is switched on then both fans are forced to run.
- At low speed they are connected in series
- At high speed they are connected in parallel (switch over relay, triangular box)

If you want to replace fan motors remember that the propeller screw is negative threaded (clockwise to open).
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
topper2
My Cars:

Post by topper2 »

thanx for replies chaps
i have only one fan working ,so... i guess i have problem :cry:
i thought maybe one fan for a/c and both for water cooling, or should i say hoped .anyway i'll test the motors and take it from there
alan
topper2
My Cars:

Post by topper2 »

can anyone tell me exactly where my temp sensor and bitron sensor
is pls ,and what it looks like .I've had air filter box off and the only brown thing I can find is just a three pin plug. :oops: the symptoms are.- no fan runs untill a/c is turned on,then about 1 min later the o/s fan only, runs fullpower for about 30 secs ,engine warm or cold,makes no difference.
done visual check of relays between fans. this is a xantia 2.0 hdi 1999.
any guidence would be much appreciated
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

If you have just one fan running, then this is not caused by the bitron sensor or even the bitrom controller. It must be a fault with a fan motor, or the fan relays, or the wiring between them.

On one of my cars, I was lucky enough that it was just a fan relay fallen out of its socket (can't have been pushed on properly by the previous repairer).

So start by pulling out the fan relays, and checking for burning of the contacts. then you might try (carefully) bridging pins on the relay sockets to apply power to each fan motor in turn.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Looks like two separate faults.
Offside at high speed when cold is a temperature sensing fault.
The brown sensor plug to the right of the blue one needs a clean.

Nearside not running at high speed is a supply fault.
Check the top left relay and socket, and fuses E & F under the bonnet.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
topper2
My Cars:

Post by topper2 »

hi and thanks for the input guys
i tried some shorting out of relay pins today(following some earlier posts in the archives) this pointed to failed earth, or fan motor ,so went to scrappers and got motor from a pug 406. the fan blades were too big, so used existing blades . so after testing, i've got slow running both fans
when i turn on a/c. or on tickover after about 30 mins running .(I think I may need a new thermostate)
I've been unable to locate the temp sender to the bitron controler.
the BOL says, the temp sensor forms part of the A/C bitron control system ??? and of course testing should be entrusted to your local stealer
re. brown temp sender. all the pics I've seen appear to be something other than my 2.0 hdi
can anyone throw any light on this :?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

topper2 wrote: so after testing, i've got slow running both fans
when i turn on a/c. or on tickover after about 30 mins running .(I think I may need a new thermostate)
That sounds like completely normal operation to me, nothing wrong with fan or thermostat. What makes you think that you still have a problem?
topper2
My Cars:

Post by topper2 »

do you think its fixed then :D
I havent seen full speed yet, and it seems to take a long time to get to full operating temp.but I don't want to be looking for trouble if alls ok
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Yes, looks like there’s nothing wrong.
High speed is for emergency cooling only, like overheating or overpressure in the air conditioning.
A long time to reach operating temperature is because the HDI is an efficient engine.
Also think that diesel engines run cooler at idle than under load.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Clogzz wrote: A long time to reach operating temperature is because the HDI is an efficient engine.
Also think that diesel engines run cooler at idle than under load.
Spot-on Clogzz :D The HDi is particularly cool running and in the winter this can back-fire a bit and make the heating and demisting less then effective. Some HDi Xantia Exclusives were fitted with auxillary water heaters, either the Erberspacher diesel powered one or an electric one that used a special type of glowplug as heating elements.

My 2.1TD suffers the same to a lesser extent.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
topper2
My Cars:

Post by topper2 »

well ! thanks for confirming all sounds ok. another job sorted (thats a good feeling) :D you guys sure know your stuff ,and yes jim ,mine does have a diesal aux water heater. although i think it must be busted as i havent heard it kick in for years. i think its gotta be below freezing to work, but when it does it sounds like a jet engine. a bit scary first time you hear it, :shock: till you find out what the noise is all about. lol.
thanks again for all the great info ... alan