Rad cap; Blowing pressure seal! update?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

FWIW, rad caps are designed to operate at different pressures. In the 'old days', when nearly all were of the generic winged pattern, it was usual to simply specify the pressure required when buying from a motor factor.
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Xantidote wrote:
"the rubber type flange" you refer to: there should be a rubber seal around the thermostat where it sits in it's housing

Martin
hi no this one has a rubber like seal/flange the stops water going through when cold.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Pleiades wrote:He is correct, the pistons do protrude from the block, but this will not effect the running temp, only the compression of the cylinders.

When doing a head gasket on a diesel, you should measure the piston protrusion at top dead center on each piston, then taking the maximum measurement, order the correct gasket, this is usually found in nothces at the bit poking out of the gerbox end of the head. The more notches, the thicker the gasket.

Having said that, most folks just go for the thickest gasket!!
hi no i was the one on about deck height with pistons! hes was squawlking about that it would could change the thermo effeceincy etc.
which my thought was B*******s.that has to do with manufacture tolerence in piston makes.etc.

he was going on about his hobby was engine design etc.said he was/could have been in the raf working on plane/copter engines? well if that was the case why's he planking behind a pc @parts desk in citroen dealers?
xantia 19td estate 96-7
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Any way Fans are all replaced and working.hurrah! had both the rads out and cleaned matrix and flushed water one through.found some cack init ie paper?.had the whole front off.and yes one of the bumper bolt's was seized and in the end pulled it through!.
but to make captive nut work again i cleaned and lubed threads up.then pulled nut back into bumper by packing bolt out with(i used washers) did it up tight then used socket to pack and let it pull through abit more?. Waalah it works as did bumper up and it holds it!
xantia 19td estate 96-7