binding brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

casperdog2
My Cars:

binding brakes

Post by casperdog2 »

What a week, GIVE ME STRENGTH, the car is a 96 xantia estate sx, I have done everything I can think of to correct the problem, the frount brakes are not releasing after the brakes have been aplied, if the car is left for a while the brakes will release, I have changed the calipers but to no avail. I am thinking sphere on the pressure regulator, if that makes sense. :evil: its not the handbrake adjustment, even does it with the handbrake disconected,

thanks
when in doubt get a bigger hammer
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Can you move the levers right back against the stop? If not the parking brake cable may be adjusted to short.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If not the calipers, this may well be down to duff flexi hoses. They can break down internally and act as one-way valves, preventing the fluid returning after a brake application and thus holding the brakes on.

Worth a check and it's not too difficult or expensive to slip a new pair of flexis on. If not that, is the brake pedal pivoting OK and not somehow holding the brake dosuer open?

It's very unlikely there is a problem with the dosuer itself.

On another subject, I've posted some fault-finding information in your blower speed controller thread in the For Sale/Wanted section. I'm not conviinced the module itself is the cause of your troubles...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
casperdog2
My Cars:

Post by casperdog2 »

The car was driven to try it and all four brakes were binding, it gets worse by the minute Ive parked it up untill I have a think but I tried to release the pressure on the pressure regulator but when you turn the 12mm release bolt the is no pressure release (no sound of pressure being released and no suspention drop
cheers
when in doubt get a bigger hammer