Odd 4030 Radio Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Odd 4030 Radio Problem

Post by CitroJim »

The radio in my V6 has the most annoying intermittent problem.

Occasionally, when it comes on, either with the ignition or the power switch, it is muted.

Touching the mute switch or the volume up or volume down buttons immediately sends it to full volume :twisted: It is seriously loud and always seems to happen early in the morning... It's actually painful on the ears.

It happens on Radio or CD. Also, if the radio is left on as the ignition is turned off, upon the next ignition on, the radio often does not come back on and needs to be turned on at its switch. The two problems are related. Somertimes the radio will go for any numbers of on and off sequences without fault, sometimes days. However, if the radio fails to come on when the ignition is turned on, you can guarantee it'll do it's muted-full volume trick when manually turned on.

It's bizarre. Any thoughts are more than welcomed as I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from not listening to Sarah Kennedy on the way to work each morning. I dare not risk turning it on in case I wake the whole street..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Jim,
I could send you a spare 4030 unit, thats in my V6 at the moment.. its only in there as a matter of CD changer diagnostic - I just have not changed it back. There is one virtical line of pixels missing, but its not a problem.. I can put the original radio back in mine....

It works PERFECTLY in my car, so if it plays up in yours - you have yur answer, dodgy steering controls - OR try unplugging the TOP plug at the rear, you'll loose steering controls and CD Cahnger, but it will tell you if it is the steerng controls...

If not, ones here to send up ALONG with your Ipod / mobile tray.. :lol:

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Paul,

That is incredibly good of you :D No worries on a duff line of pixels. Mine has the same problem too.

I'll disconnect the steering controls this evening and see what that does and if no joy I should be most grateful to take you up on your very kind offer. At least I'll not be radioless whilst I see about trying to fix mine.

I have the circuits of both the head and the CD player so shall attempt to try and fix it. I'm an electronics engineer by qualification but was brought up in the valve era. I feel like a novice when confronted by this modern, clever stuff :twisted:

If I do borrow yours, pop one of your duff CD players in with it as I'd be interested to see how fixable they might be. You never know...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

off topic Jim.. but have you/anyone thought of adding a line-in to the newer Xant stereo... I am contemplating it with the 406... would need to be wired into the tape head and maybe the drive belt removed..

J
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

CitroJim wrote:Paul,

If I do borrow yours, pop one of your duff CD players in with it as I'd be interested to see how fixable they might be. You never know...
Thats interesting Jim, as the "2nd" CD Changer I bought off Ebay for the V6 for testing reasons would only Eject the Cartridge, and not load the disks, Ill check it again tonight "Just incase" and if its duff, then yes you'r welcome to have a look over, I ALSO have got a Series 2 Clarion unit that DOESN'T recognise the Clarion CD changer from a Xantia, but I think IIRC I knicked the chip with the unlock code in it to go in another radio I didn't know the code for.. so thats a forget it..

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote:would need to be wired into the tape head and maybe the drive belt removed..
Hi John,

You'd not want to run an iPod or similar direct into the tape head as there is way too much gain at that point in the circuit and far too much risk of picking up extraneous noise. You really need to arrange the line-in to go in further along into the circuit where there is a lot less gain available or else feed it via a pretty lossy and well-screened attenuator to the heads. Mobile phones tend to play havoc with the sensitive circuitry just behind the tape head and they are responsible for the horrific "ratt-a-tattt" noises you hear when a phone is receiving a text or switching cells.

Does anyone have a circuit of the S2 Radio? We could perhaps work out a good entry point then.
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:Thats interesting Jim, as the "2nd" CD Changer I bought off Ebay for the V6 for testing reasons would only Eject the Cartridge, and not load the disks, Ill check it again tonight "Just incase"
Is it being detected and saying "No Disk" or similar on the display as it searches through the slots Paul? If so, that's a good sign.

On the 10 CD payer it is imperative that there is a disc in Slot 1. If this position is empty, even if there are discs in every other slot, they won't be recognised. Very odd behaviour really. Also, the discs themselves go in "upside down" or in the opposite way to what seems right to me at any rate.

I vaugely recall it being sid there was a common fault with these players but I can neither recall who said it and what the offending component was :roll:

I think this is basically the problem Red_Dwarfers has on his. Is that right Kev?
Jim

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

THIS IS THE HEADUNIT POSTING...

THERE IS A POSTING ABOUT THE CD CHANGER SEPERATLY... AND MY INFORMATION IS IN THERE

Regards to all interested

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

CitroJim wrote: On the 10 CD payer it is imperative that there is a disc in Slot 1. If this position is empty, even if there are discs in every other slot, they won't be recognised. Very odd behaviour really.
Mine doesn't have that behaviour, I just removed disk 1 and checked. It reports no disk, then tries the next disk until if finds one present and starts playing it.
CitroJim wrote: I vaugely recall it being sid there was a common fault with these players but I can neither recall who said it and what the offending component was :roll:
It was probably me that told you it is the head servo driver chip that fails. The symptom is a delay of a few seconds after loading a new CD, then a skipping every few seconds on some CDs, then just CD ERR on the display. The head driver chip was certainly very hot (around 150 C) on the 2 faulty units I previously had. On one of them, I think cooling the chip cured the fault for a few seconds.

The same chip was used in one of the Playstation drives, and was noted for failure there also (but is thus fairly easily obtainable).

I am not sure if my current unit has the same fault, as it also suffers from the drive motor not starting unless shaken, I suspect that is an independent fault.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Jim,

My problem was that no music was playing at all/no CDs detected and we were greeted with CD ERR in large friendly letters on the head unit.

xantia_v6,

I was going to contact you about this apparent fault in the CDC's as Jim mentioned your name at the CCC National only I haven't got around to finishing off my CDC loom.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I had a look at my radio today and typically, after disturbing the plugs at the rear, it won't now go wrong :twisted:

I did have a study of the circuit (thanks Kev!) and see the area of interest is the TDA7318 Audio Controller IC. This is responsible for source switching (radio, tape, CD amd Aux) tone control and muting. It's acll controlled vian I2C bus from the microprocessor and as far as I can see it should latch (i.e hold it's settings unless commanded differently) This is the prime suspect but there are some likely looking electrolytics knocking around it that may be worth a look at.

The I2C bus and micropreocessor must be OK as this controls everthing the radio does and controls the CD player and as everything else works that must be Ok so I can rule out, I think, duff data being sent to the audio processor.

I've not quite worked out what might be responsible for the failure of the radio to come on with the ignition just yet but there is quite a complex "power-Up" circuit which I've not quite understood exactly what it does just yet.

It's got me rather interested in modern electronics again!

On that subject, as I have the circuit (again, thanks Kev!) of the CDC CD player, I'd be interested to have a look at a duff one...oday and typically, after disturbing the plugs at the rear, it won't now go wrong :twisted:

It's got me rather interested in modern electronics again!

On that subject, as I have the circuit (again, thanks Kev!) of the CDC CD player, I'd be interested to have a look at a duff one...

I guess, from looking at the circuit, that the unreliable IC is either the Motor Driver (IC3) or RF Amp/Servo (IC1) that drive the focus and track coils. Frustratingly, the diagram does not give their identities.

I'm waiting for mine to show the fault agin and I'll report back..
Last edited by CitroJim on 06 Aug 2009, 21:31, edited 2 times in total.
Jim

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Anyone seen my discovery under the Changer section?????

CHECK YOUR HARNESS under the drivers seat!!

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote: CHECK YOUR HARNESS under the drivers seat!!
That, Paul, is a good thought as that harness carries, amongst many other things, the I2C bus. A bit of damp or corrosion there could wreak havoc with the data flowing around.

Can it be got at without removing the seat?
Jim

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Jim,

Is there De Ja Vu in your post, Im sure you've said the same thing twice in it :lol: :lol:

Incidentally, the radio unit works PERFECTLY however, ONLY my volume on the steering works, none others, im wondering if its the steering buttons or the harness..

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Nope Jim! its DIRECTLY under the seat, so you need to get the seat up to get the carpet up..

I blydi wish I could remember my Photo bucket password!! The pictures I got are VERY bad!!!

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto