Xsara instrument cluster

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bobq

Xsara instrument cluster

Post by bobq »

Hi, I wonder if anybody can shed some light on a problem with my wifes xsara. it is a rather aging 1997 model which has been running without fault for the last 5-6 years but has just developed a fault where the instrument lights come on (as if you have just turned on the ignition) whilst she is driving and the engine cuts out. The car has so far always restarted but would be grateful if anybody knows what might cause this issue?
On a separate note, the sunroof seems to have a slight leak and water accumulates in the centre overhead console and now and again will decide to give us an inside shower!! Is it quite easy to in the first instance check/clean through the drain tubes (I assume that it has them!)
Any help would be most gratefully received.
Many Thanks
Cliff
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi Cliff and welcome
im not sure what your cutting out fault is (possibly imobaliser),

and yes the usual fix for the internal shower is as you say,
but i belive if you use the method some people on these forums sudgest, of pushing/feeding a flexible length of wire down from the top end, you can quite easily damage the tubes,

i always trace the bottom ends and give them a blast of compresed air, but make sure you have a dust sheat over the seats

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Cliff and welcome :D

You don't say what engine the Xsara has. It may be a help to know if the fault is not resolved by the following:

Whether petrol or diesel, the engine ECU is supplied with power via a "double relay" and in fact it is effectively two relays in one housing. It will be found very close to the engine ECU. This relay is a prime suspect and has caused a very similar and very, very intermittent incidence problem on one of my cars. In my case, it resolved by removing the relay from its socket and giving the pins a gentle clean. In fact just removing and replacing it back in its socket is often enough to give the pins a good clean.

The double relay is an expensive item new but luckily, scrapyards are teeming with them as all PSA vehicles of the era use them and they're all much the same.

Have a check of that first and come back if it was not that.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

A common failure on older xsaras is the plastic bits that the drain tubes push onto on the sunroof frame break off as they are just plastic riveted on to the frame (if i remember right its only the rear ones that are like this). they can be bonded back in place no problem with mastic but you need to remove the headlining to do it.
bobq

Post by bobq »

HI Guys thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a go and let you know the outcome.
Regards
Cliff