air bag fault light on c5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gazzas c5
My Cars:

air bag fault light on c5

Post by gazzas c5 »

hi all,my citroen c5 hdi vtr hatch comes with a airbag fault on the display and a lighted service light on the speedo clocks,what can i do to investigate the fault and get the airbag fault light of along with the service light?many thanks folks!!! :lol:
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

It could be any of the six airbags or the seatbelt pretensioners or something else I can't even think of so the best bet is get the error codes read, prefrrably with a Lexia. This will narrow down which item is causing a problem.

As a preliminary before doing that you could try looking for connectors in the wiring under the seats. Some Xsaras have suffered from intermittent contact in these connectors (for the seatbelt pretensioners) and umplugging and remaking sometimes fixes the problem.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

Could also be a break in one of the "flexible " leads to the steering wheel air bag.

These are not easily replaceable or removable, I think they are integral with the com2000 unit. You can gain access to the leads by removing the air bag.

However, they can be repaired in situ by carefully cutting back the plastic insulation and repairing the break by soldering.

You must disconnect the battery and allow time for capacitors etc to discharge before you remove the air bag.

Removing the air bag is a bit tricky involving two screw drivers, one inserted into each of two two slots at the back of the steering wheel and then leavering the two plastic tabs to release the air bag.

You can release the connector at the air bag end and then need to do the repair in situ.

Good luck!
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

In my C5 it also was accompanied by the lack of a horn whicg cost me about £300 to have the Comms unit replaced in the steering column.

Ed