part identification please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

axford

part identification please

Post by axford »

Hi,wonder if anyone can help id a part for me as its leaking oil and i need to change it.
On my y reg 2.0L hdi citroen c5 there is a wide bore black plastic air duct(probably the most obvious thing when you lift the bonnet.)Now ,it comes from the intercooler to the turbo charger and as it enters the turbo at the left end of the engine it has a 'something' attached.It is black plastic with the middle point painted blue.There is a tube coming out the bottom and going round by the servo and into the covered fusy type area .It is obviously something specific as it is oddly shaped with short circular tube pointing down to knowhere which has holes in and a loose cap that can be removed by pulling and clips back into place but does not form a seal.
I have looked all day in my haynes but can find no mention of it.
As i say its leaking onto my head so to speak so any help would be much appreciated.
It's been leaking for 3 years so its nothing serious,just annoying.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I'm not familiar with the C5 2.0HDi installation but - the big bore black plastic pipe takes hot compressed air from the turbo to the intercooler where the air is cooled before it goes into the engine via the inlet manifold.

It's normal for turbo-chargers to (after a while) leak a small amount of oil from the bearings on both air and exhaust sides.

What you seem to be describing sounds like a disconnected engine breather that is disconnected but that would be connected to the intake side of the turbo.

The other possibility is that the gizmo is the turbo pressure sense mechanism but that would have some electrical connection to the engine ECU.

Hope this helps

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
axford

Post by axford »

thanks for your time.Seem to be getting my head round it a bit.I am wondering if it is designed to leak the excess oil onto the engine which i doubt somehow.
Do you think i should replace it and stop the leak or would this somehow cause a build up of the oil in the turbo / intercooler set up and worsen my probs.In other words should i ignore it and top up as required ?
Thanks for your time to reply anyway.chris.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

I'm sure you're right that 'it' isn't intended to drip oil onto the engine - I reckon somethings disconnected and you need to take a look under the bonnet of another 2.0 HDi (and take a few photos) to see what goes where.

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom