xantia steering column bushes.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

xantia steering column bushes.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

last feburary I got an advisory not on my steering colum having play in the top.

Has anyone replaced steering column bushes on an xantia?

I have had the coloum out but I cannot remember if it had an nylon bushes in it like the old BX used to have, in fact the bx bottom bush slipped down the colum and I pushed it back up and used insulation tape around the colum to hold it up and it was fine after that.

but with the xantia Mk 2 I cannot remember if the colum was a sealed unit or not.

any advice would be gratefully recieved .

regards Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 02 Aug 2009, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I don't have any experience of the mk2, but I had this problem on my mk1 Xantia. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to replace the bushes individually on that and I had to replace the complete column.

I know the problem you refer to on the BX, but I couldn't see any sign of this happening on my Xantia column. The bushes were still in place, but it seemed to be the top bush itself that was worn.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

nick,

thanks for that, I seemed to recall that there wasnt a bush as such in the top of the colum, ahh great this is going to be an expensive year.

six spheres.
o/S wishbone replaced.
o/S driveshaft replaced.
Lower engine mount replaced.
and N/s rear radius arm needs doing, where will it end. ](*,)

regards Nigel
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Years ago (about 30!) I had a problem with worn column bushes on a friend's Triumph Herald. This had plastic bushes which were not replaceable separately.

I took the offending bush out and put a hacksaw cut down the length of it so that it would close up around the inner column. I then wrapped some thin brass shimstock around the outside of the bush so that when it was it tapped back into outer column the slack was taken up.

Might this work for you? No good if it's a ball race bearing of course!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Nice one Paul - I like it

Martin :D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
falling-out-with-my-car

yep sounds good Paul,

I always thought the xantia had a little play in the steering anyway because of the adjustable steering position.

now my Mot tester has put it on the advisory list I think he might be just being picky because she passes every year without fail, I think he is trying very hard to find work.

regards Nigel.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

My 2.1TD has a tad or so of play here but the MOT tester has never picked it up in two years-worth of tests. Having said that, I have known a 306 fail on just this and with the same amount of play my 2.1 has. On the 306 I replaced the column but I did take the time to look into it with an eye to the future in case I need to do something for my 2.1.

Basically the bush is a plastic needle roller and not replacable. However, if the column is removed and dismantled it can be knocked out. I'm damm near certain I could knock up a suitable bush on my lathe when/if the time comes.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

Jim,

it a pig of a job getting the steering rack out of an X2 Ive done it just to replace the dreded clutch clip, it gave me a bit more room to get under the dash. when your six ft tall you tend to mbe a little more clumsy.
saved my ribs though on the bottom of the door seal.

right back to the steering rack.

Jim if you still have a car with some play in the top end of the rack would you please try something for me and get back to me?

I have noticed that when I turn my steering to half left or right lock the slackness in the top of the rack dissapears completely, I am no longer able to move the steering wheel up and down.

I beleive this to be more to do with the steering position adjuster than a worn bush/bearing.

anyway can you give it a try for me please and let me know what you think and if yours tightens up when steering? if it does surely the bush/bearing would be slack in all positions not just one if it is worn out?

regards Nigel.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Did you get this sorted Nigel?

I remembered to drag a spare steering column top out of my pile of Xantia
salvaged parts from various cars I've had to scrap along the way and you're
welcome to have one for the cost of the postage if you don't mind a bit of
surface rust!? I cannot see a way I'll need to use all half dozen or so I've
got.

You're taking about the tube with 4 mounting threads that the steering
column runs through with one swivel at the end where the cross bolt
secures the bar end of the universal joint that runs through the bulkhead
yes? The ignition switch and the top switches and airbag/radio swivel aren't
there and I've tried turning the head and it's nice and smooth with no
noticeable play.

Andrew

Image 8)
falling-out-with-my-car

Andrew,

I am confused by your description a little, my Mk2 Xantia estate steering column is a one piece affair with a central spindal running in two bearings one at the top and one at the bottom. I know this because I (like a fool) took it out completely to see if I could make more space to fit a new clutch clip and it didn't :oops:

the outer casing or tube is the one that houses the two underdash securing brackets and has the usual parafanalia on it ignition lock etc.

apparently there is a marked difference between the Mk1 and Mk2.

I really appreciate your efforts Andrew and I am sorry to shoot you down in flight but I was heading towards buying a new one anyway, which is really the only way I can be sure that i am buying the right one for my car. apparently it changed again when they built from 2000 onwards.
so my 1998 is neither here nor there.

I'm getting a bit sick of this lack of compatability with eairlier or later models and if the car was not so reliable & running perfectly on Veg oil I would send it on its way at the drop of a hat.

thanks again Andrew it is very difficult to be sure which column they have put in a facelift car, my Xantia seems to have nothing that the earlier cars have it even has the exhaust reburn system that the later models have.

regards Nigel.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

No worries.

The description I used probably is a tad ambiguous; yes, the main steering
tube has a splined head which connects the s1 steering wheel to - this differs
between s1 and s2 as Paul citroenxm has mentioned elsewhere on the forums.
I hadn't make the mental connection that you need a s2 so mine is no use
anyhow off a late s1.

Andrew

falling-out-with-my-car

Andrew,

ambiguous No not at all after all you knew exactly what you meant. :lol:

thanks for your consideration anyway it is appreciated.

best wishes Nigel.