Xsara 2.0 hdi fuel pump problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paulinderjia

Xsara 2.0 hdi fuel pump problems

Post by Paulinderjia »

Hi everyone.
I am hoping that someone here might be able to help.
I have had an intermittant problem with my 2001 xsara for around 6 months now. What happens is that i will go out to start the car and when i turn on the ignition, you don't hear the normal buzz from the fuel pump and the vehicle will not start. After various tests i decided to replace the fuel pump relay(the brown relay that sits on the bulkhead with the red clip). I thought this had cured it but the problem came back.
I have since found that when i get no sound from the pump and the car won't start, all i need to do is run a wire from the positive on the battery to the 15amp fuel pump fuse in the fuse box & the pump cuts in & the car starts. I remove the wire and everything can be ok for a few weeks. Then for no apparent reason it will do it again a few weeks down the line. The problem is it seems to be getting more frequent, so i am starting to think i have a major problem.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Paul
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hi and welcome!

Sounds like POSSIBLY more like a break in the feed wire you are bridging...

Have you had a replacement fuel pump (in the tank) fitted?? They can play up giving your simptoms... but it seems you solve it with your jumper wire

Citroen wiring can have a habit of breaking up inside the insulation.. causing problems like yurs..

Regards
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Most likely one of the interconnectors behind the ECU causing the problem.
See here > http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... +connector
Paulinderjia

Post by Paulinderjia »

Well i didn't expect a reply so quickly. I had a new pump fitted 18 months ago and when checked with a meter there is always power there. I will look at the two interconnectors behind the ecu..(if i can find them) and let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help both

Paul
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Paulinderjia wrote:Well i didn't expect a reply so quickly. I had a new pump fitted 18 months ago and when checked with a meter there is always power there. I will look at the two interconnectors behind the ecu..(if i can find them) and let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help both

Paul
Check the power feed with a proper 12v fillament bulb test light, not a multimeter or LED test light, it can still show 12v/light the LED but not enough current to light the bulb or power the fuel pump.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

We had a problem with the Xsara a few months after we got it about 4 years ago. If the car was stopped then sometimes it wouldn't start immediately afterwards. There didn't seem to be any reason why and it would usually start after a few tries or leaving it for an hour or so.

First of all I suspected the inertia switch and presssed the button. I eventually bypassed it (it's still bypassed!) and that seemed to cure it for a short while but then it would do it again.

The worst time was when we took it to France on holiday. It behaved impeccably for a couple of weeks and then, after our last night in France, refused to start in the morning. At first I thought it might have been low fuel level but after 5 1/2 mile trips with the 5l fuel can to top the tank up it still wouldn't start so I gave up and called the RAC. About an hour later the recovery man turned up and the first thing he did was to turn the ignition key. Of course it started for him and with much embarassment we were on our way. There were several more switch-offs before we got home that day but it always restarted.

Back home I started investigating. I posted my questions and results on the then What Diesel web site (now unfortunately gone) but as I remember it I only had the wiring diagram for the Phase I Xsara from the Haynes BOL to help me. Using my multimeter I quickly found that the fuel pump in the tank wasn't being given any voltage. This is supposed to be provided by a relay or two but wasn't. Furthermore, the voltage to the relay was low. Without a proper diagram I couldn't be sure where it was fed from but I strongly suspected the ECU. The voltage was being reduced from 12v to about 6v or 7v regardless of whether there was a load or not.

The only thing that can reduce voltage without a load is a semiconductor PN junction and the ECU is stuffed full of these. I never did find out what the problem was as I thought "stuff it" and arranged for a separate, ignition controlled feed to the pump through a fused relay (sourced from a Renault Espace).

It's been working like that 4 years without any problem. I suppose that strictly speaking I have lost the safety aspect that if the ignition is switched on WITHOUT starting the engine the supply to the pump switches off after 10 seconds or so but that's a price I'm well willing to pay.

A bit of a long post but I hope that something there will help you.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​