ZX Volcane Handbrake Problem...Sorted , MOT passed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MondeoV6
My Cars:

ZX Volcane Handbrake Problem...Sorted , MOT passed

Post by MondeoV6 »

Hi
its that long since I called in (3 years) I have forgot my old login name.

Just decided to put old faithful back on the road 94 ZX Volcane TD after a 14 month lay up and it failed the MOT on the nearside handbrake (5 KG)

I have freed everything up and put in new pads but there is still very little force there on both service and handbrake.

If I remember rightly the the self adjusters in these calipers are prone to failing , could this be the problem ? off-side is fine.

any help appreciated....

cheers...Paul
Last edited by MondeoV6 on 30 Jul 2009, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome back!!!!! Paul

firstly the self adjusters will not self adjust if the lever is on in the slightest (not fully in the off position),

also do you know the correct way to get the piston back into the calliper when fitting new pads,

as you must not just push/force them in they must be wound back in, in a clockwise direction,

if you dont do this you will damage the adjuster mechanisum inside the calliper

regards malcolm
MondeoV6
My Cars:

Post by MondeoV6 »

citronut wrote:hi and welcome back!!!!! Paul

firstly the self adjusters will not self adjust if the lever is on in the slightest (not fully in the off position),

also do you know the correct way to get the piston back into the calliper when fitting new pads,

as you must not just push/force them in they must be wound back in, in a clockwise direction,

if you dont do this you will damage the adjuster mechanisum inside the calliper

regards malcolm
Hi Malcolm thanks for the reply.

I disconnected the cables , wound the pistons in ( remembered from last time I did the pads) then pumped the brakes on re-assembly for them to "adjust up"
I then reconnected the cables and adjusted at at handbrake.
Offside works a treat and the handbrake actuating arm moves about 1 cm
Nearside is terrible and I can move the wheel by hand with both service and handbrake, plus handbrake actuating arm is moving 3 cm.....

Can the self adjuster be checked with the caliper off or is it easier to source another caliper and fit it ?

Cheers

PS...is M**d** a swear word here ? my signature changed itself ... :oops:
ZX Volcane TD 1994 145,000
F**d Mondeo 2.5 V6
Trying to convince the wife I need another Xantia Estate for camping......Can you get the V6 3.0 in estate form ?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi Paul
its you UI thats a bit riskay on this site TEA HE,

if the lever is even slightly in the on position the internal mechanisum will not adjust/reset its self when applying the foot brake,

even as you corectly did leave the cable disconected till you had pressed on the brake pedel hard a good few times, hoppfully with the engine running, to have the servo in play,

is there a long travel on the foot brake if so try bleeding the rear brakes, or even all the brakes,

and sorry i dont think there is anything you can do to manualy adjust the calliper in any way,

regards malcolm
MondeoV6
My Cars:

Post by MondeoV6 »

Thanks Malcolm

I'll spend another morning on it and let you know how I get on.
F**d Mondeo 2.5 V6
Trying to convince the wife I need another Xantia Estate for camping......Can you get the V6 3.0 in estate form ?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi paul and welcome to the forum :D
MondeoV6 wrote: PS...is M**d** a swear word here ? my signature changed itself ... :oops:
No, it's just a thing the forum word filter is set up to do. It all started out a long, long time ago for a bit of amusement and I've never amended it's setting so you'll always see your car referred to as a non-Citroen. Naturally, the word filter is there to remove/sanitise rude words but sometimes forum admins abuse their powers. I'm a member of the BX Club and one night their admin used the word filter to turn the word Xantia into something else :twisted: :lol:

I never realised there was a V6 version of your car :oops: Can you tell us more about it as with that engine it has to be special.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MondeoV6
My Cars:

Post by MondeoV6 »

Hi CitroJim

I was on the forum quite a lot approx 4 - 5 years ago as I was running the ZX and a 92 Xantia Vsx TD so needed some help and offered my wisdom from time to time, as I've got 35 years of working on allsorts behind me. But cannot for the life of me remember my old user name.

The ZX passed the MOT , I put new pads in , overhauled the caliper and the MOT man was happy with the handbrake test results but I am sure the auto-adjuster is not working !

As for the unmentionable F**d Non Citroen V6 it is a 97 Ghia X Saloon with the 2.5 24 valve engine thats 168 bhp and 170 lb ft of torque. It shares alot with the Jaguar x type (same running gear , engine etc) but being a F**d is alot less expensive.
Its an excellent Q-car , gas shocks as standard , 205/40 17" alloys , rear discs, twin bags, heated front screen, air-con, electric drivers seat, electrically heated seats, full leather, ABS, traction the list goes on....
Its pretty quick, 140 ish and will doe a genuine 40mpg at 70mph on the motorway.
I do miss the Xantia though especially when loading up with the camping gear and obviously the fuel economy. I have also owned a BX TRS many moons ago and more recently a 99 Xsara HDI that I had chipped and rolling road tested at 119bhp and 215 lb ft at the wheels !!!! and was very quick , it ran on 215/35 18" wheels and really needed a brake upgrade. I sold it in 2001 to buy the ZX Volcane which I believe to be a much better built car and better all round than a standard Xsara....I'll dig some pictures out for you perusal ....

Paul
F**d Mondeo 2.5 V6
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Paul,

Great news on the ZX going through the MOT!

That sounds a very desirable car to have and enjoy :D The equivilent I suppose of the Xantia V6. A Jag in all but name. Nice 8)

There was, I believe, never an official Xantia V6 estate. Shame really as that (maybe an Activa V6 Estate) would be my perfect car.

That said, there is at least one V6 estate in existence in the UK. I believe it was at last years NEC show and in pale blue. Not sure who built it but I'd not be surprised if it were not one from BL Autos; they have built a few V6 Activas.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gnerk
My Cars:

Post by Gnerk »

Mmmm. ZX volcane TD.

I used to have one of those in black. I follow the (ahem) bangernomics school of motoring and bought this motor as my first example of cheapo driving. It was £550 on a L plate in 2006.

Somewhat wierdly for a ZX, it suffered corrosion issues and despite my fathers best efforts in helping to weld it up, it ultimately failed at the MOT on metal moth damage and I got rid. Not that the car looked bad for it tho! All that damage was up in the suspension turrets from what I remember. The body and interior were still fine, not withstanding some of the red line plastic trim coming away a little.

The car took the family and I to France through Belgium and into Holland and Germany on our summer hols twice. The second time, it visited the Nordschliefe for 20km lap of complete silliness.

I will always hold ZX's and ZX TD in very high regard, despite the black TD giving me some troubl during my ownership. I had a silver Aura 1.6 petrol J reg from 1998 to 2002, but the TD was faster and SO much better handling.

Anyway. Misty eyed moment over.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Gnerk wrote
"Somewhat wierdly for a ZX, it suffered corrosion issues"

thatas usual for a ZX the inner wing and the scutle is were they near enough always go

regards malcolm