C5 VTR Hdi 110 estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

C5 VTR Hdi 110 estate

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Hi guys if I may ask a few questions please:

1. Car suspension "nods" up and down if I park with front wheels turned any way except dead a head - any ideas? ( I am sure that this one has been asked many times)

2. Heater blower resistor pack (module) - anyone know where I can get this cheaper than dealer at £135 please?

3. Rear wiper motor seems to be hard to turn by hand and will not turn on the wiper motor - tried a squirt of WD40 and it worked for a while but problem has returned - anyone know of a problem with these or a solution please?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 VTR Hdi 110 estate

Post by myglaren »

Ed Armstrong wrote:Hi guys if I may ask a few questions please:

1. Car suspension "nods" up and down if I park with front wheels turned any way except dead a head - any ideas? ( I am sure that this one has been asked many times)
It is indeeed a common phenomenon. Oddly one I have not been able to get my car to do.
Never heard of a reason or cure I'm afraid.

2. Heater blower resistor pack (module) - anyone know where I can get this cheaper than dealer at £135 please?
I bought mine from Town Centre Citroen for approximately £45+VAT.

3. Rear wiper motor seems to be hard to turn by hand and will not turn on the wiper motor - tried a squirt of WD40 and it worked for a while but problem has returned - anyone know of a problem with these or a solution please?
I have only heard of this once when a dealer had fitted a new motor and the wiper boss was exceptionally stiff and the wiper could not be turned by hand. Checked mine that operates very freely, no resistance whatsoever. Guy took it back and complained, fixed in half an hour. Otherwise I got nothing I'm afraid.
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Thanks Steve, have emailed supplier for stock / cost of resistor pack
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I may be wrong but I think that there is an ECU update for C5s for the suspension which may cure the nodding problem.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Thanks Paul - if u know anymore detail, would appreciate pls.
Ed
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Steve, just got a quote from your recommended supplier for resistor pack for blower as £139.91 inc - phew!!!!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Ed Armstrong wrote:Steve, just got a quote from your recommended supplier for resistor pack for blower as £139.91 inc - phew!!!!
Don't understand that as from your description you have the simpler system that should be cheaper.
Maybe yours includes the fan, which would add a bit onto the price. My son's 306 would have been nearly £200 but he had the unit replaced with a second hand one, £75 all in.
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Gave them the registration number and that's what he came up with. Asked for the resistor pack for blower motor control. Can't believe 3 resistors could cost that much and I'm an electronics engineer.
Ed
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it is genuinely a resistor pack you can easily repair it yourself.

Mine is listed as a resistor pack but is a circuit board with a heap of surface mount components and some power semiconductors that I assumed were triacs. I wish now that I had kept the old one.

As you are an electronics engineer, I'd pull the busted one and take a look at it, there's a good chance you could fix it.
Even if you can't you won't be any worse off.
May be worth trying to get a second hand one but you would need to pull whichever it is to correctly identify it.

I am mystified by the disparity in the prices.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Surely this is down to the different types of A/C fitted?

There's the fully automatic type (as in my C5) where the module is a circuit board with a power MOSFET on a large heatsink. This lives in the driver's footwell on the left hand side. It sounds like this is the £45 one.

Then there seems the second type which I'll have to summarise from various posts made. This type is fitted to the manual A/C. This lives in the passenger footwell on the RH side. It appears to be a collection of resistors on a board (presumably with a heatsink also) to control the fan motor speed and I suspect that this is the pack that costs £140.

Does this sound feasible?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Paul-R wrote:Surely this is down to the different types of A/C fitted?

There's the fully automatic type (as in my C5) where the module is a circuit board with a power MOSFET on a large heatsink. This lives in the driver's footwell on the left hand side. It sounds like this is the £45 one.

Then there seems the second type which I'll have to summarise from various posts made. This type is fitted to the manual A/C. This lives in the passenger footwell on the RH side. It appears to be a collection of resistors on a board (presumably with a heatsink also) to control the fan motor speed and I suspect that this is the pack that costs £140.

Does this sound feasible?
Feasible yes- I'm sure you have it right.
But £140 for the resistor pack is daylight robbery if it is the same as the Xantia one, only three resistors and a thermal fuse IIRC.

Folks have repaired these with components from Maplins for about a fiver.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Couldn't agree with you more about the ridiculous cost of the module. Although I've not seen one in the flesh it sounds absolutely extortionate.

I was just trying ascertain which module was which.

Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Thanks guys for the input - will pull the module out and have look see - nothing to lose. If someone has access to data and willing to supply detail on part description or check which type it is: resistor pack or semi conductors etc - would it help if I provide VIN details?

Many thanks again.

Ed
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

As posted in another similar thread, here are pictures of the climate control module and it's location:

Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Is that climate control or restor pack for blower module or are they one in the same. My model is straightfoward push button aircon on and the usual blower switch.

Ed