installing a rev counter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

q_007
My Cars:

installing a rev counter

Post by q_007 »

Hiya
I was wondering if there was anychance of upgrading my ZX reflex (1.9D) a bit.
I wanted to start with installing the dials out of a higher model. There is a set at the breakers from a 1.9D aura and he wants £25 for them.
Is it an easy task? Is there any extra connections which i will need to install.
I have noted that all i currently have is a red light for water temp, and a clock, so i need to know what else i will need for the water temp gauge, rev counter, and door open thing.
I will later try fitting central locking, and electric windows, with the ultimate being piwer steering - so any advice on all these would also be great.
Thanks in advance
Q
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

On the BX & CX models, you have an integrated switch in the door lock itself, for the door unlocked warning panel.
Guess it's the same for the ZX.
These switches may still be present, even the wires may exist. Look for any blind connectors each side, in the cable bundle from doors.
If not, you have to strip the doors and look for any blind connectors in here. If still no wires, you'll have to strip lock mechanism for connecting to any existing switches. If no switches, the outer lock mechanism must be replaced (not the key barrels) with switch fitted units. It's a couple of weekends job alone, just to fit a missing door lock warning wiring.....[:(]
And then there's the switches & wires from bonnet & boot open.....
Since you plan to fit central locking & electric winders in doors too, you better plan to fix all in one, one door at a weekend.
Believe me, this is really a time consuming work.....
For the central lock & winders, you need extensive cabling, most likely NOT fitted to your model.
You need the winder panel switches too.
And new inner door panels, without the naughty hole for the winder handles.
You better start finding the total cost for these bits. It may well be cheapest to buy a complete wreck car with these bits fitted.....
And then try plan how much time you need to strip these bits, without ripping them apart.....
As for the gauge in the instrument panel, you need the temp sensor for the gauge too. Your present sensor is a simple on/off switch. Should be a simple swap job, if not the sensor is add-on to the red lamp on-off switch.
The rev counter needs a sender unit present on engine, or a signal somewhere from the electronics engine management. This a bit sophisticated, you'll need a circuit diagram to find or fit the bits.
Sensor/signal & wiring for your diesel rev counter may or may not be fitted in your model.
Welcome in the world of enthusiastic Cit rebuilders [:)]
-- with skinned hands [:D]
Been there, tried it, all the way....
On BX's & CX'es, that is....
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

for the c/locking & e/windows I would recommend universal kits.i know the locking kits are quite cheap & easy to install and come with all the wiring,i think maplins sell them,you can even get an optional keyless entry system.try their website.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

There are some after market rev counters especially made for diesels - they connect to the alternator and need to be calibrated once fitted.
//NiSk
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

According to the Haynes Manual, the rev. counter is operated by a TDC sensor.
But where this is I haven't a clue. Suggest looking around the front crankshaft pulley and the flywheel housing for any sensors that maybe there or brackets and wires ready it.
Sorry can't be of more help.
Sooty
q_007
My Cars:

Post by q_007 »

what page did you read that on?
Q
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

It does indeed get its signal from the TDC sensor, mounted in the bell housing flange on the block, just above the diff.
Something you need to watch for when buying clocks is that the speedo is the same as yours, either cable driven or electronic.
Personaly I would rather buy the higher spec model to begin with, plenty about at the right money I would have thought.
Dave
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Q,
My manual is green coloured, for ZX Diesel 1991-1993. page 12.32 item 40 is the Instrument cluster and item 160 is the TDC sensor.
Sooty
q_007
My Cars:

Post by q_007 »

But i got this car for £200!! :o)
Michael
My Cars:

Post by Michael »

I have upgraded the clocks on my 106 diesel. The job itself is straight forward, but there are a few things you need to note;
the signal for the revs does come from the TDC (top dead centre) sensor, which is found on the bell housing. First buy a TDC sensor from a local dealer for your car, but from the model which has the rev-counter as standard. It is only around £12.
Change the TDC sensor.
Get yourself the wiring diagram for your car, take out your clocks and put the new ones in, on 99% of cars made the rev-counter wires will be wired into the loom already. So it will just be a case of attaching the clips to the back of the clocks.
The higher spec clocks you need MUST be from another diesel model, not the petrol version. As the signal for the rev-counter on a diesel is very weak so in the back of the clocks is an 'amplifier' which amplifies the signal, this is not found on petrol engined cars.
For a water temp gauge, if fitted to the higher spec clocks, the gauge that powers the light on your lower spec clocks is exactly the same as the one that powers the gauge on the higher spec clocks. If all is fine just plug in the clocks and the gauge should work!!!
good luck.........