2003 C5 VTR HDi (Estate) - Displayed Brake fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

2003 C5 VTR HDi (Estate) - Displayed Brake fault

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Please can anyone advise - display showing brake fault, panel showing STOP and handbrake symbol appearing (as if handbrake left on). Alarm appears somethimes 10-15mins after driving off - no change in braking efficiency but believe that brakes applied themselves "slightly" as if I had just touched the brake pedal - this effect happened only once or twice- can't say I have noticed that effect recently though.

Switching off engine after parking then driving off again - alarms appears again after a few minutes. Barke fluid level ok and handbrake ok.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ed, it'll be worth checking the action of the brake light switch on the pedal and the handbrake switch. It may be that the brake lights are staying on too long; the ECU is able to detect this as an illogical action if the throttle is pressed at the same time and thus raises a fault.

Otherwise it may be an ABS fault although I would have expected a separate ABS light to come on or a specific ABS fault to be displayed.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Thanks for reply, I don't think is brake light switch or handbrake switch as it seems to be random when light comes on (and then stays on) and display says Brake Fault, whereas if I move off with handbarke on it tells me that handbrake is on. The thing that threw me was that once or twice the brakes seemed to appy tehmselves actually slowing my forward speed momentarily as if someone was riding the brake pedal slightly. Open to ideas though....
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Thinking about it though, it could be brake pedal switch could you recomend a quick check please to prove one way or another Jim?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Brake Fault according to my 807 handbook can mean a problem which has caused the system to disable ESP if I remember right.
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Thanks Homer - what's ESP please?
coolscan

Post by coolscan »

Hi Ed,
ESP is Electronic Stability Programme.
My previous C5 (2003 Hdi) threw up a few "Brake fault Warning" alarms, when no brake problem was present. The dealer tracked it to the brake light switch, changed it under warranty, and the problem never recurred.
Regards, Coolscan.
alderman
My Cars:

Re: 2003 C5 VTR HDi (Estate) - Displayed Brake fault

Post by alderman »

Ed Armstrong wrote:Please can anyone advise - display showing brake fault, panel showing STOP and handbrake symbol appearing (as if handbrake left on). Alarm appears somethimes 10-15mins after driving off - no change in braking efficiency but believe that brakes applied themselves "slightly" as if I had just touched the brake pedal - this effect happened only once or twice- can't say I have noticed that effect recently though.

Switching off engine after parking then driving off again - alarms appears again after a few minutes. Barke fluid level ok and handbrake ok.
Hi Ed, The same conditions happened to me last year and it turned out to be simply that both my brake light bulb filaments had blown, yet the centre LED’s were OK.
Apparently the ecu detects the brake light current and whilst one bulb failure is allowed, both failures alert the ‘Brake Fault’ sequence.

Regards
Allan
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Thanks Allan, jusr checked and both my stop lights have failed and led ok. Will change bulbs shortly - many thanks.

Ed
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Allan, bulbs replaced - fault report disappeared - many thanks all who contributed.