Exhaust help please!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Road_Hog
My Cars:

Exhaust help please!

Post by Road_Hog »

The wife's Xsara 1.4 02 plate exhaust has decided to fall apart. It has rusted away where the long mid pipe meets the back box and has separated, the rear box looks to have rusted as well (needs replacing). From the little I could see of it the mid box (cat?) looks okay.

My questions are, can the mid pipe and rear box/tail pipe be replaced or is it a one piece effort as I have read some Citroens are?

Secondly, as the wife needs it for work, it will have to be a trip down to a Kwik fit type exhaust centre tomorrow. Are there any of the chains that can be recommended for exhausts and any idea of price.

Lastly anything to watch out for, the famous must have add on/up sells, that might be tried on.

Any help is much appreciated, even if it isn't in reply to the questions above.

Thanks
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

You could check out this site to see how many sections a replacement exhaust could be supplied in. My factory original is a 2 piece but the non Cit replacment is a 3 piece.

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/

Worth phoning around for best price on supply & fit, Kwik-fit is unlikely to be the most competetive and they have a habit of finding a myriad of other faults which they will be more than happy to fix for you ( at a price!! )

HTH
Road_Hog
My Cars:

Post by Road_Hog »

Just to add, in case it makes any difference. Just checked with the FiL who owned the vehicle from new, before handing it down to the wife, the exhaust is the original from new.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You could try getting quotes from ATS and the Citroen dealership - dealer will cost more but from what I have learned from the forum, they last considerably longer that pattern parts.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you can also check what your system is on BOSAL's web site

http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pages/ex ... od_cat=EXH

regards malcolm
Road_Hog
My Cars:

Post by Road_Hog »

Thanks to all who replied. I went with ATS Euromaster in the end. Very efficient on the phone, told them the details, phoned me back in 5 minutes as promised. Wanted to know if it was 16V or 8V, didn't know which so he gave me the price of the most expensive (I now know it is an 8V vehicle which is strangely the more expensive) which was £165 fitted for the central and rear silencer.

I tried Kwik Fit, whilst the guy was pleasant on the phone (not your usual, "yeah mate, what do you want") he wouldn't give me a price because there were three different central and rear boxes and different combinations (there isn't according ATS and the Bosal website, there is an 8V & 16V) and suggested I come in for a free exhaust check. I don't need a free exhaust check, I've been under the car and it is clear that the central and rear silencer need replacing. He then asked me if I was coming in and I said no (this was a bigger depot in the city about 20 miles away) as I wasn't prepared to drive that distance without knowing what the cost was. He was then suddenly able to say, well if it turns out to be the most expensive then it will be £183.

I would probably have gone with them if he could have assured me he had the stock (ATS had to order it in), he said he could get it in 30 minutes if he didn't. I just got the feeling that they wanted the car in and then if they couldn't get the parts that day, it would be, well you're here now, you may as well book it in and we'll get the parts ordered. I don't blame the guy on the phone, I know the are only following company policy, but I like to get straight forward answers to questions like, how much, have you got it in stock and when can you do it, which ATS did.