Xantia Autoclutch mechanism

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flygirl757
My Cars:

Xantia Autoclutch mechanism

Post by flygirl757 »

Hi Everybody,
A friend has asked me to pose this question as she is not a member. She has a T Reg Xantia (16 valve) and has had a new clutch fitted. The pedal is right at the top and she can't find out how to adjust the auto-clutch mechanism. A friend of mine has had a look and there doesn't seem to be any place to adjust the length. Any ideas gratefully received. Thank you all in advance
Love, Michelle XXX
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The adjustment is done manually (not auto adjustment) at the gearbox end of the clutch cable where you will find a nut on the end of the cable, undo the nut in order to lower the clutch pedal.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

DickieG wrote:The adjustment is done manually (not auto adjustment) at the gearbox end of the clutch cable where you will find a nut on the end of the cable, undo the nut in order to lower the clutch pedal.
You learn something new everyday, I had the idea that it was all automatic adjustment from '96 onwards.
It would be interesting to know which cars stuck with the manual adjusters or whether it was just the 1.9 that switched over :?:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Cassy's a 98 and has manual.
Jenny has auto but I have a feeling it should have been manual but the wrong cable was used.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

My R reg 16V had an auto adjust cable, apparently original fit - it's probably another one of those random unpredictable Citroen things!
Have a look, Michelle - if there's no nut on the clutch end , and a 'bulge' in the middle of the cable instead, it'll be an auto.
flygirl757
My Cars:

Post by flygirl757 »

LOL Thank you all very very much for your input but now we are confused. I have an L Reg Xantia 1.9TD and it has a nut on the end of the clutch cable for adjustment. My friend's car (the T Reg 16Valve 1.8 as in the original question) has no nut so it surely must be an automatic adjust. Any ideas how to set the adjustment up after a new clutch being fitted?
Love, Michelle
X
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

In theory, the auto adjuster can't be reset, but in practice it can be partially dismantled and unwound after removing the cable - not an easy job though due to the notorious clip holding it to the pedal!

What's the 'throw' of the pedal when measured? I wonder if the problem is really cable adjustment or terminal clutch wear.