Xantia 1.9 D n/a clutch question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Xantia 1.9 D n/a clutch question

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all
As you maybe aware im selling my 1.9n/a Xantia but i have been asked a few questions about it and im trying to be open and honest in the description so i need to put this over to people with more knowledge than me (must be 1000's on here :lol: :lol: )

The biting point is quite high but im 100% sure its been like that every since i got it but what i have noticed since i put the car up for sale (more to the point taken an interest in :oops: ) is that there is a fair amount of slack in the pedal itself.If you put your foot under the pedal when its in its rest position you can move the pedal upwards by about 2" or so.
Can anyone point me in the direction of whether this is a case of a badly adjusted clutch/cable or whether its a case of the clutch on its last legs as i dont wish to land anyone on this forum or anywhere else with a problem that i have lived with for the last 2 + years blissfully unaware of any problems

The clutch itself is nice and light but i can find no record of it ever being changed so in theory it could be the original clutch that has now covered 201k

Cheers

Colin
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Sounds like a badly adjusted cable to me.
Under the airbox, below the metal bracket it sits in, is your cable.
Unless it's an auto adjusting one, it should have a threaded end with two nuts on it.
You need to wind them down the cable until the pedal is in a comfortable position.
There is a way to measure where the pedal should be, but I just adjusted mine to where I wanted the bite point to be, and yes, putting your foot under the pedal you can lift it right up with ease :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It may well have an auto adjuster, in which case you cant change the take up position, if the clutch is light that's a fair indication that its not worn out. A fairly good clutch will have a distinct feel to it, as the pedal gets near the floor it will get lighter, try operating it stationary and see if that is so. Its quite normal to be able to lift up the pedal.

Peter