Front brake flexi hoses and rear caliper question Xantia VSX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Colin :D

Did you replace the front flexi hoses OK or is that another job for another day?

Good luck for the next MOT :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

CitroJim wrote:
Did you replace the front flexi hoses OK or is that another job for another day?
Front hoses replaced yesterday Jim have posted earlier in thread looks like you posted at same time as me :) :)

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

admiral51 wrote:Front hoses replaced yesterday Jim have posted earlier in thread looks like you posted at same time as me :) :)
Great stuff :D

Sorry Colin :oops: Missed that bit.... Must have neen due to the V6 brake hijack in this thread :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Must have neen due to the V6 brake hijack in this thread
No worried Jim tis still Xantia based :lol: :lol:
Colin :lol:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Colin wrote
"and fingers crossed"

what all 9 and a half in my case TEA HE

regards malcolm
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Better progress than me then. Managed to get it all apart without shearing any bolts this time and got as far as fitting the new disc, but then other duties called and then the tour was on telly and then it was dinner time, so I'll continue tomorrow evening as long as it's not chucking down. #-o
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

citronut wrote:
what all 9 and a half in my case TEA HE

regards malcolm
Me and you both Malcolm well maybe 9 and 3/4 in my case :lol: :lol:

Managed to aquire disks and pads from GSF today and all are now fitted, surprisingly with no leaks from the inadvertent outing of the pistons and subsequent splitting of the calipers :D :D

Gave the rears another good bleed (is 2 litres each side a bit excessive :lol: :lol: ) and all is running freely with no contact on the disk from anything(with the brakes off :D :D )

Hope its not been too wet where you are Stempy best of British :) :)

Just a bit of a moan really now (sorry Vince :) ) but why do GSF list the price of disks singularly when everyone knows you need to buy both sides at the same time :x :x they even come in sealed boxes with a quantity of 2 :twisted: :twisted: and yet pads are listed and sold as sets for both sides :evil: :evil:

MOT is booked for later this week but im keeping the day a secret but it does end in a y :lol: :lol:

Colin
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well I finally got mine all back together this morning and then went for a test run down to the seaside and happy to report all is working very well. MOT is booked for Friday so fingers crossed the pads have bedded in by then. The best thing is no more squeaky rear brakes (for a while at least).

Also fitted a nice new pair of rear corner spheres while I was in there. Quite easy to do from the side with the brake back plate removed.

Lexia ponce

admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Righty Ho its of to MOT i go :lol: :lol:

Actually twas today that the VSX was sent back to the test station and this time she actually came away with a ..... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

All my hard work and expense seems to have paid off so come Saturday she will be road legal :D :D :D

That having been said there are a couple of problems with the car that will need some urgent attention more of which in another specific post :twisted: :twisted:

All the best for Friday lads :) :)

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That is absolutely wonderful news Colin :D :D :D :D :D

All the best with yours Mike....
Jim

Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Happy to announce another pass :D Three advisories though :( One of the track rod ends has play, centre rear seat belt adjuster deteriorated :? and slight exhaust joint leak, all relatively straight forward to put right.

I knew there was a bit of a suspension clunk so was expecting a worn joint somewhere but couldn't get it to show up at home. Lower arms still need doing anyway so I'll get round to doing those and the rod ends at some stage. Think I'll need to buy a good ball joint splitter though.

And I'll get the old RTV out for the exhaust joint.

Lexia ponce

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Stempy wrote
" Think I'll need to buy a good ball joint splitter though. "

i usualy just give the side of the eye the swivle pin goes through a sharp blow with a hammer releases the swivle pin, just have the nut on a couple of threads so not to damage the thread if your aim ant very good

regards malcolm
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Stempy wrote:Happy to announce another pass :D Three advisories though :(
Congratulations Stempy :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nothing major on the advisories either 8) 8)

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Great news Stempy :D

That seatbelt one is common. I find it best to dismantle. clean and apply a drop of oil on the pawl.

I used to always use the two big hammer method on lower balljoints until one day it just would not paly ball. I then was bought by MikeT, as it was on his car, a really good industrial-strength balljoint splitter and since then I've never looked back.

Sometimes those swivels can be royally tight. That's only half the battle though, actually changing the swivels is another ball-game altogether :twisted: :twisted:

Which exhaust joint is reckoned to be leaking?
Jim

Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

It's the joint between the backbox and the centre section, thing is I know why, it's because I grafted on an Activa backbox that I got cheap and the diameters are slightly different. I think a bit of adjustment with an angle grinder and plenty of sealer will cure it though. :roll:

Lexia ponce