What is loctite?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lazza
My Cars:

What is loctite?

Post by lazza »

Hi

Haynes manual referes to using "Loctite" when replacing the Crankshaft pulley bolt....

a. What is it? can i get it in Spain? if not what other product is equivalent?
b. Do i have to use it? Or can i just put the bolt back on?

Thanks as ever

Larry

ps apologies for double posting, last one seemed to go into blogs ?
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
hobblerian

Post by hobblerian »

Loctite is a thread retainer or sealant, it is used to prevent bolts from working loose after fitting. As far as i'm aware loctite is available all over the world, probably loctite 242 would be ample. You just need to coat the first 3-4 threads before winding the bolt in, you need to don't use too much.

There are other manufacturers including 3M Rite-lok.

I would definitely use it as the last thing you want is your pulley bolts working loose with vibration.
Previous 90H S1 XM 2.1td SD Manual
Current 97P S2 XM 2.1td VSX Manual
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Haynes are a bit naughty. "Loctite" is a proprietary brand name for a range of industrial adhesives and sealants. Like "Hoover", the name has become synonymous with the type of product, first and biggest.

Any reputable thread locking compound will do the job.

You REALLY do need to use thread-lock and a NEW bolt. Crank-shaft pulley retaining bolts on the XUD engines have a bad reputation for two things:

- working loose (if not locked).
- snapping like a rotten carrot if re-used.

The brute force that has to used to get them undone often weakens the bolt which then shears - either when being done up, or later.

A new bolt is less than £2 in the UK.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

right thanks for the warnings! Any chance of it shearing when trying to take it off???

The reason I want to change it is that it looks like it has been damaged at some stage and a bit wonkey and has a chip in it. However, the auxiliary drive belt is not affected really by it and functions correctly.

I will be renewing that this week, hence why I thought to change the pulley too.

If there is this risk, as I have no decent drill etc, I may leave that job... until i have means of removing a sheared bolt if necessary!

Thanks
Lary
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Theres a even better damage done when it comes undone without notice... the pully comes away and rattles away at the keyway... which in turn damages the Crank shaft!!! It can also cause the bolt to JAM in the crank, and as Old-Guy says snap when trying to remove it!!

Ive had this on 2 Xantias and a 306! I always use loctite now, with a bar.. although strnagely, Ive never had a bolt snap when NOT abused and fitted correctly, or removed...

Old-Guy, Could the bolts you've experianced have been abused by previous owners?? Thats a new one on me, they look VERY strong bolts to me..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

When going to remove the crank bolt, get the engine nice and warm as it can help weaken the locktite that's factory fitted.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I think Citroen advise you don't re-use the bolts (aren't they stretch type?) and their new ones come with threadlock already applied. But they are very substantial bolts and I'd like to meet the man that can shear one as it takes all my strength just to get them undone!
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

you can even use nail varish/oil based paint ie gloss or eggshell plus few other things that escape me? if you're stuck for it. used to know an old boy when was in garage that knew every trick in the book? could always pull an ace out of his sleeve anytime you was stuck.used to tell me lots of little tricks that were realy usefull esp if you was out in middle of no where!

the thing with stretch bolts is in the material? as when you torque them up the grain goes one way and gets set then when you undo you alter the structure of the steel which then shears.have a look on net about it as to long to go on about here.but hardening and steel tensile strength is quite an acute science.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

I've never had a bolt shear because I've only taken one pulley off! However, I was warned by a mechanic who has some experience of "old" Berlingo vans (XUD9 engines). He has had to fix the result of crank-shaft bolt failures and warned me to use a new bolt every time and tighten it correctly!

When a 'stretch bolt' is tightened correctly the first time, it is permanently stretched and thus slightly weakened. What happens if the bolt is re-used is fairly complicated depending on what further stresses occurred in breaking the thread-lock and then in re-tightening. And let's not forget that a used bolt CANNOT be tightened correctly since it has already been stretched.

Even if the rather brutal technique of a 'flick' on the starter has to be used to get a bolt undone, I don't believe there's a serious risk of a single-use bolt breaking.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

you can even use nail varish/oil based paint ie gloss or eggshell plus few other things that escape me? if you're stuck for it.
I agree that this will be OK in some non-critical situations, where the risk is just from vibration etc, and have used it myself occasionally, but I don't think I'd risk it on a crank bolt.
Last edited by dnsey on 25 Jul 2009, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Ross_K wrote:eBay, Loctite
Ross' link lifted from the duplicate thread.
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Hi All.

As stated already, loctite is a brand name and loctite comes in all sorts of varietys from super glue to high strength retainer.

The loctite branding is identified by numbers, one that we use a lot is Loctite 603 retaining compound, this can be used on the outside of seals such as camshaft, crankshaft and diff seals, it is not allways needed but it is a belt and braces approach and helps to fill any imperfections or scratches in the seal seating area.

Loctite on bolts is a bit like using nylock nuts, it's just to stop them from coming off on their own.

I have never heard of the nail varnish trick, but I guess that anything that sets will work.

Top Tip from the potting shed....

If you have loctite on a nut and it will not budge, then rub it with a bar of soap, then heat it up, the soap will turn black at 300 degrees and also the loctite will give up it's strength at 300 degrees.

This system should not be used where seals can get damaged by the heat, unless of course they are being replaced.

Regards
Martin.