Lexia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Duracell
My Cars:

Lexia

Post by Duracell »

Hi

I have two 2003 Hdi C5's and an HDi Xantia to maintain so I've wondered whether buying a Lexia would be a good investment. Having read numerous threads on here I am becoming more confused about what I will need, and where to get it from. There are massive price differences for what appears to be the same kit so what is the catch?

Any advice about what I should buy and where I should buy it from would be welcome

Thanks

Richard
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

It seems there are 2 options. One is to buy a Citroen or Peugeot ex-dealer unit - these come up on Ebay occasionally. IIRC the last one didn't go for too much either. The second is to buy one (which you must presume will be a copy) from China (for example this one). You'll get everything you need, and a copied CD or DVD to install the software to your laptop. Oh yes, you'll also need a laptop or a PC close to your car!

Mine didn't come with the 2-pin or 30-pin connectors. All your cars will have the standard OBD2 socket, but you might want to get one with the other connectors included.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi Richard
i think the main price diferance is related to the CHINES copys/clones,

people on here feel these copys dont/cant do all that the UK dealers LEXIA 2/3 can do,

i do own two X dealer machines
they were both PEUGEOT DIAG 2000's,

but i have had one converted to a LEXIA 2, by swapping the hard drive with one which has citroen software installed,

saying all that im still a mear beginer at auto electricary/diagnostics

regards malcolm
Duracell
My Cars:

Post by Duracell »

Thank you both for the replies - its clarified why the price difference but I'm slightly concerned about the suggested limitations on the china copies. Is there anywhere that I can find more specific information on this?

Regards

Richard
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Unlikely to be honest. Mine does everything I expect of it on the Activa, but that's a relatively primitive system. I've also had a quick look at a Saxo VTR (52 plate) that had more options. There may be owners of Chinese Lexias with a C5 on here, or you may have someone nearby who will show you. Have you checked the sticky at the top?

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I bought a clone directly from a supplier. As far as I can tell, after asking around, it does all the dealer tool does. It came in a nice soft carry case with 2, 16 and 30 pin leads. It was supplied with Lexia and Planet Peugeot software.

I've used it on a Saxo petrol, C5 HDi, XM 2.5 TD and XM 2.0 TCT.

The part I'd really like is the 'scope' module for more in depth testing but info is hard to come by, maybe dealers don't bother using such kit and just swap parts until the fault is fixed?

Hope that helps.

Steve.
not applicable
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Duracell wrote:Thank you both for the replies - its clarified why the price difference but I'm slightly concerned about the suggested limitations on the china copies. Is there anywhere that I can find more specific information on this?

Regards

Richard
All the electronic unit does is convert OBDC type serial data messages to USB / PC serial protocols, if it can read one message it should be able to read them all.
The real intelligence lies in the software which comes on the CD this as far as I can see is a ripped of copy of the genuine Citroen Lexia software and is the same irrespective of where the electronics come from. As part of the start up of the software it runs checks on the interface and as far as I can see it will not run unless it recognizes the interface as being there and working in a way that it expects.

Cachaciero
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

cachaciero, don't suppose you've opened yours? Wondering if possible to clone...
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi All

Have been looking at LEXIA ad's for a while now deciding what to buy.
Has thrown up quite a bit of useful infirmation but not helped to decide what to buy. Summary is:
UK ads need careful checking; some are genuine ex dealer but not all; watch out for chinese sellers pretending to be UK based; watch out for premium price "ex dealer" laptops supplied with chinese Lexia; and finally real ex dealer with no leads or software.
Chinese ads: All purchases carry the risk of customs duty, do not fall for the free or £1 kit, £200 postage as customs charge duty on the item plus postage cost; Also if it goes missing in the post the refund may just be the purchase price, no postage. As to the kit itself, seen considerable variation in kit content, particularly leads which are difficult to identify/source and expensive to buy seperately; at least 3 different types of Lexia head unit and the same number of software options; Not talking just about software version number but how the software is enable for use; options can be restricted to a single computer (release by email code sent seperately once software loaded) or release code sent with kit (load any computer) or universal (totally cracked giving unrestricted use). Most of the chinese ebay sellers appear to be dealers and it is worth looking at the list of other items they sell (the strange mix often gives a guide but a few technical questions quickly shows likely back-up to expect). With a Google search you can find a number of chinese "manufacturers" that claim to sell one off items. Kit and software are usually much better described.

John
Xmexclusive
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

Thanks for the heads up John..
I went and checked, and it turned out that the guy I was going to order from on ebay, was actually based in China... even though he stated that the items in question was supposed to be in the UK.
Now.. I'm not saying that this sin't the case... but I would prefer to deal with a UK based company.

Has anybody bought one of these testers online, and what experience have they had?
Xantia 2.0 Hdi , Talbot Matra Murena 2.2(fuel injected ;) )
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

There are 2 different types of Lexia 3 software, one that does everything the dealer ones do & one that does everything except code keys & imobiliser control units, this is the version that was availible to non dealer garages. All the versions on ebay seem to be copies of the full ones.
I dont doubt that the chineese ones do anything different to the genuine actia ones but all i will say is that all the cheap electronic stuff i have bought off ebay from china has not lasted very long because it is usually poor quality & very cheaply made.
asav
My Cars:

Post by asav »

I got a lexia 3 kit from china recently seems fine...not sure if there are any deviations from the dealer 1's (lack of experience and knowledge) though the stuff seems sturdy enough even for a cheapo replica.
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

Asav: from where did you order yours?
Xantia 2.0 Hdi , Talbot Matra Murena 2.2(fuel injected ;) )
asav
My Cars:

Post by asav »

Krede wrote:Asav: from where did you order yours?
fleabay.....heres the seller

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/tech-zoom/

arrived quickly by fedex...no customs problems, though might just have been lucky, as in the past have had to pay tax on electrical items from the states.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

asav wrote:arrived quickly by fedex...no customs problems, though might just have been lucky, as in the past have had to pay tax on electrical items from the states.
Mine came described as a computer cable, with a value of $5 or something, to put HMRC off.

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto