Diesel Not Starting with key

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

q_007
My Cars:

Diesel Not Starting with key

Post by q_007 »

Hi Guys
I own a diesel ZX which i have recently purchased, and am having problems starting the car with the key. Basically, when i turn the key, the battery light goes out, but the car doesnt crank over.
If i put 12v across the starter, the car starts fine.
Any ideas anyone?
Q
p.s. i looked in the small black fusebox in the engine, and it looks like there is a red plug with 3 wires, a purple plug with 1 wire not connected to anything. There is also a 5 pin thing there but i dont know if these are supposed to be connected.
Thanks in advance
Q
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Start off by checking the quality of the battery pole connectors - they have a notorious habit of not conducting very well. If you are sure that you are getting full power to the starter terminal, try apply 12V to the solendoid terminal. If this works, you have a fault in the ignition switch/wiring from it to the solenoid. Otherwise either the starte cable/terminal arre causing your problem or the solenoid is duff.
//NiSk
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have you got an imobiliser? Our 94 ZX diesel is fitted with one and wont turn the engine unless it has picked up the signal from the keyfob properly. By way of encouragement the thing seems to be well integrated into the vehicle wiring and does not look easy to remove.
jeremy
q_007
My Cars:

Post by q_007 »

All i have is a black keyfob with 1 button
Does this double up as the imobiliser??
Q
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Dont know.
Someone's lost the plip for ours and we have a small plastic block about 1 inch long that has to be waved in the direction of the steering column.
jeremy
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

jeremys car must have an aftermarket imobiliser,the only factory imobilisor available on the ZX was the keypad version which does not cut out the starter motor.the plip has no effect on starting the car ( unless there is aseperate alarm/imobiliser wired into it).I would go with NiSK's idea,check for power a solenoid terminal,check battery leads/earth straps,if they are all ok then its a dodgy starter motor/solenoid.
q_007
My Cars:

Post by q_007 »

well - its seems that the starting ignition wire has been tampered with. I cut the tampered and connected it to the ignition wire for the starter - all works now!
Thanks ofr all you help!
Q