citroen xantia mark 2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It rusts from the inside out, hidden by the paint of the seal until it blisters.
Waxoil won't help unless you drill a hole through from under the seat and fill the section up inside.

The strut tops are rubber coated, this perishes and lets in moisture which hidden by the rubber merrily sets about destroying the strut tops, making them split in layers which then splits the rubber more making them very visible, so it's always a good idea to check the rubber on good looking ones and if it's split check the metal underneath.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

strut tops are in v/g condition even rubbers beneath are still well bonded to the underside of the wheel arches.

This rotting from the inside out must be due to galvanised panels sweating unless this stopped at the BX.

How do you Know they rot from inside out Xac have you actually seen one cut in half with a cross section of the structual beams running under the seats or mabe even inside the door pillars?

being as the X2 has only been around what 10 or 11 years that kind of corrosion would have to be pretty quick to rot that like that going through the paintwork as well., fortunately when I had the seats out I had a good look at the box sections am wondering now if I should have drilled them and filled them with waxoil, even though they looked in good nick.

I know the AX rotted like this but it didnt have an eight year corrosion warrenty like my X2 did.

regards nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

It rusts because the seam is spot welded, this sort of corrosion was a big problem on maestros and montego because gaps were left and not filed by seam sealer. As the shell ages it flexes, seam sealer starts to harden and crack, and water penetrates.

It wont be rusting from outside in, its typical 'seam rot'. 10 years is easily enough for rust to work at a panel and corrode completely. I think the Xantia's have excellent rust resistance anyway and this one weak point seems to be the only area that suffers, underneath they are usually spotless, the doors dont rust, tailgate being plastic will never rust, its only rear arch areas that should be looked at as they collect alot of mud. I always clean my cars well in this area.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

another area that needs cleanning out is the cage that houses the rear suspension sphere mountings can't think of the name at the mo.

if you go anywhere muddy the mud clogs the frame behind the spheres and a jet washer or strong hose jet gets the mud out ,I have applied plenty of wax oil here.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.