Caliper Rewind tool - Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SLYTZD
My Cars: C4 Grand Picasso

Caliper Rewind tool - Xantia

Post by SLYTZD »

Has anyone bought or use a Caliper Rewind Tool & where did you get it, price? I'm about to change my discs & pads not sure if the universal one from GSF (98741) will work on the Xantia?
Simon

'96 Xantia Activa in Silver 95,000
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'm sure someone did post the part number from GSF a while ago.
Personally, I just use the remains of the old pads, but a tool would speed up the job.

Ah here's the thread:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=26694
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

Personally, I just use the remains of the old pads
good call, saves trying to do it with a square shanked screwdriver
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I knew this one would come back to kick me in the backside one day I bought thus tool from GSF and they told me it would fit my MK2 xantia well is doesnt the pins on the disk are to close together to engage the slots on the xantia brake piston.

so I ordered an adapter from Laser Tools via my local auto factors, trouble is it cost me another 17 quid, the adapter fits perfectly if I use a 3/8 drive socket to adapt the GSF tool. the adapter is their citroen renault adapter number 12.

personally I would forget the GSF tool and go straight for the Laser one which has a 19mm bolt to be driven by socket to rewind the piston.
hope you get this in time.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Actually there's no reason why someone who can weld couldn't make up a wind back tool simply by welding a rectangular bar to a nut.
Could bring in a few beer tokens :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
SLYTZD
My Cars: C4 Grand Picasso

Post by SLYTZD »

Thanks for the input. I think you are right about making your own. I wouldn't mind paying £20ish for a good tool - but having to buy an adapter on top of that... Don't think so.

It looks to me that the tool GSF sells is made by Lasser. http://www.motorspares.co.uk/acatalog/i ... _1314.html

And said adapter, http://www.motorspares.co.uk/acatalog/i ... n_269.html
Simon

'96 Xantia Activa in Silver 95,000
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Simon,

before I went through the rigmarol of buying a screw in tool I used the edge of a file but when it comes to your calipers refusing to move at about half way in you will desire a threaded screw in tool at some point.

have you got a wilco's automotive store nearby? they sell the laser tool for £11 with the right adapter.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.