Xsara head unit replacement?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xsara head unit replacement?

Post by RichardW »

Another question about the Xsara being taken over by my Sister... :)

It's a 2002, so multiplexed, but only an LX so fitted with the boggo tape deck. Sister has a 3 year old she keeps entertained with nursery rhymes etc - all on CD, which don't seem to fit in the tape deck! Can you just replace the head unit with a std DIN fit unit? How do you get the old one out?
Richard W
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Pop off the plastic blanking bits at either side of the radio, undo the torx screws and pull it out.

When installing the new radio, remember that a non multiplex radio will need a feed from the fag lighter or similar.
ImageImage
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

It's a DIN sized hole & the radio fits ok but it will leave a gap around it & i dont think there is a decent adaptor plate available for it.
As said there is no ignition live so you need to run one up from the fag lighter but you also need to isolate the multiplexed wires from the new radio so that the only wires from the cars ISO plug connected to the radio are the battery live & the earth. Usually the radio will come with it's own mini harness & you can isolate the wires here to save butchering the cars harness. Some aftermarket radios dont affect the systems if they are just plugged straight in & some cause problems with the central locking,eco-mode, batteries draining & the multifunction display freezing. It's just luck really, even if all appears ok after plugging straight in the wiring should still be modified.