Citroen BX a/roll bar drop link

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikeg
My Cars:

Citroen BX a/roll bar drop link

Post by mikeg »

Hi,
Can some body tell me the correct proceedure for fitting an anti roll bar drop link, please? It seems as if it is fairly straight forward but there might be some pitfalls to be aware of.
Thank very much,
Mikeg.
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

No pitfalls - two nuts - just do it! (From what I remember)
Jamie
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The bottom joint is a tapered joint and not as easy as some to get an extractor on - I think I used a forked wedge type and hammered it.
the top joint is more fun as there is no taper, just a straight shaft and when I did mine I should have cleaned and lubricated the stub above the nut. I did not and couldn't hold the shaft while I undid the nut and ended up sawing it off. I must say that it wasn't the hardest sawing job but think with a little thought I should have been able to avoid it.
I'm sure Alan will suggest you grease the joints as they may just be dry. I recently obtained what amounts to a hypodermic needel on the end of a grease nipple from Draper(about £5 + VAT - its on their website) and re-greased my bottom swivels by puncturing the covers and squirting grease in. You could try this as its easier than removing the boot to get grease in.
Jeremy
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

It's very much easier if you lift up both sides of the car at the same time, thus unloading the anti-roll bar (otherwise it is loaded on one side only and is very much more difficult to align). If the nuts don't come off easily (they may well have rusted on their threads and just turn round and round) just cut them off with an angel grinder - its a lot faster and your not going to use them again are you?
//NiSk
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Mike,
Presumably yoy want to change them because they are clunking & they may well need doing but before you embark on the time & money course, check out this link of mine; I did this job quite some time ago & we both lived happily ever after.[:D][:D]
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/snippets/bx_clunks.htm
Hope it is some help.
Alan S