Some advice on garage diagnostic please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Some advice on garage diagnostic please

Post by JamesQB »

Hi,

My parents have recently taken their 1998 Xantia 1.9TD (the one I've done posts about regarding air-con not working at idle speed and fast-idle always on despite solenoid and everything else working correctly, as it does activate and pull fast-idle cam on pump when you rev over a certain amount) to a garage in Spain run by an English chap to have it looked at. I doubt very much he has a Lexia but has spent two days looking over the car for free to give a quote.

He reckons the air-con compressor clutch is slipping badly and it needs a new compressor at a cost of 700 euros. Presumably that'd mean my checks and finding the clutch relay wasn't being told by the ECU to pass current to the clutch were wrong... He says the engine is too noisy and clanking, and it's because of air in the fuel system. Far as I know, he has not mentioned the fact it's stuck on fast-idle and I wonder if he realises that's the reason it's so noisy at idle.

What do you think of the above, sound right? Altogether he'll be wanting around 850-900 euros to do it all, including the labour. That's about 800-850 quid.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Too dear James,

Get a second hand compressor here and ship it over, id get a Spanish mechanic to swap it over as an English mechanic over there will be charging the earth trading on the common language link.

Thats what id do anyway :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...