cylindrical gismo on N/s end of rocker cover leaking?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

cylindrical gismo on N/s end of rocker cover leaking?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,
contrary to the MK 2 xantia Haynes manual I have a cylindrical device on the N/s end of my xantia 1.9 TD estate rocker cover housing which appears to be leaking oil quite a bit. (behind the air filter and to the left of the LHM tank).

can anyone identify this particular part please, I guess it must have an oil seal beneath it on the end of the rocker cover housing.

Thank you in advance

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's your vacuum pump Nigel. It's supplied with oil at full gallery pressure off the end of the camshaft oil gallery. It is sealed with two O rings. Onle small one on the oil gallery and a big thin one around its periphery.

The seals are easy to replace. The job is a little messy.

I'm almost 100% certain that magical oil leak stopper additives won't cure it due to the pressures involved.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Jim,

thanks for that, why do I need a vacum pump on my Mk 2 then?

my dads vsx diesel Mk 1 doesnt have one at all.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Jim,

thanks for that, why do I need a vacum pump on my Mk 2 then?

my dads vsx diesel Mk 1 doesnt have one at all.

regards Nigel.
To power the EGR and fast idle set up the later models have.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's really a bit of an overkill just for powering EGR and fast-idle but on non-hydraulic vehicles it does also power the brake servo...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

and EGR is?
falling-out-with-my-car

its Ok citroen maindealers told me "exaust gas recycling". DER!!!

apparently I may have found the cheapest componant ever from a citroen maindealership the oil seals are 60 pence each, ohhh deep joy.

can anyone give me a little bit more detail in maintainning this vacum pump please? or is there a thread covering it somewhere on this site please? any worringing cautions?

regards Nigel. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

It's nothing to fear Nigel, just remove it replace the seals and refit. If the rotor does need to be aligned, it must be very easy as I have no memory of difficulty in replacing mine when I refitted the head!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote:If the rotor does need to be aligned, it must be very easy as I have no memory of difficulty in replacing mine when I refitted the head!
That's the only tricky part of the job and even that's not at all difficult. Nigel, one of the easier jobs!
Jim

falling-out-with-my-car

mike & Jim,

Ok thanks I'll post again when its done picking up the o-rings tommorrow.
the oil is really leaking badly now.

regards Nigel.
falling-out-with-my-car

Job Done Thank You for your help.

jim, MikeT & Xantiaman583,

Thank You for all very much of your help and advice, I Have now replaced the seals and it wasn't to bad a job afterall as you all said.

the pump didnt want to go back on but a little lube on the new seal and some patience getting the pump rotor lined up, which kept faling out of line with the camshaft and it went on ok.

after putting back the pump I started the engine held a clean rag under the pump and reved the engine to raise the oil pressure and presto no leaks.

thanks again everyone.

regards Nigel.