C5 Aircon problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LaRoche

C5 Aircon problem

Post by LaRoche »

Hi

I have a 2003 C5 with climate control which is driving me insane !

It seems to be a two part issue with the aircon

Part one using manual setting ( not auto)

The blower will intermittantly stop blowing and the fan display blanks out, no other air con controls can be used unless I switch the car off and leave it for about 10 minutes , when I switch back on it will be fine for a while and then do it again, no matter what temp it have it set at. The blowers can work anything from 5 minutes to 45 minutes before it shuts down

2nd part is that if I switch on the aircon using the auto button It will not switch off unless i press the airflow direction button, once i do this I cant access any other features on the unit ! no mater what button I press nothing happens, unless I switch off the car and start it again some time later . some thing occurs with manual setting also, the blowers will just stop at anytime and no come back on.

Can you advise if I need a new dash unit or what ?

cheers
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Although it's not exactly the same symptom it sounds like you have the same problem as I had.

I had to take out the A/C control module, which lives in the driver’s footwell on the left hand side in the heater assembly.

On my car it was only necessary to resolder the connection that was a dry joint and unmake and remake all the connectors but others have had to change the MOSFET on the module - or the complete module of course.

Have a look at this thread which covers a lot of the same ground

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=27419
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
LaRoche

Post by LaRoche »

thanks it appears this might sort out the blower issue but would the aircon auto setting be affected by this ? aside from the blowers if I select auto it will not switch off even if you press the auto button again.

The hand book states whilst on auto i should be able to access other contols but this isnt the case with mine, it just locks up unless i press the airflow direction button.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I honestly don't know. As I said my symptom was not exactly the same as yours. I would check the module to see if this at fault. The other locking-up problem might then go away if the module is faulty and then repaired. C5s are so strange with their electrical, or rather electronic, problems!

Some of it might also be the first sign of the battery voltage getting low. C5s are very picky about this, although mine is now 6 years old. Possibly on its last legs?

The other thing you could try is to disconnect the battery for 5 or 10 minutes and see if this resets anything. You'll have to input your radio and clock settings again though.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

LaRoche

Module part number?

Post by LaRoche »

Can anyone give me the part number for the module required?
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Have you confirmed that it is at fault?

LaRoche

Post by LaRoche »

It does appear to be the problem. I would rather replace the whole module rather than try to repair it
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I just bought one over the counter from the dealer. They asked my registration number, went and got it off the shelf.

I thought I might have had the receipt here with a part number on it but can't locate it.
LaRoche

Post by LaRoche »

Can anyone tell me the part number for this module? my dealer doesnt seem to know what iam talking about without a part number

cheers
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I can try and get the part number for you but will need your registration number and possibly vin number. PM them to me though, don't put them up for the web crawlers to pick up.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Here is some provisional information:
Thanks for the tip David, I probably won't get to investigate until the weekend would be great if it is a repair rather than replace... the part number I have is 6441L2 or 509355 for the Valeo equivalent, can you confirm this is correct for our car?
From Aussifrogs

As there is a Valeo alternative then that may be obtainable from GSF or EuroCarParts.
LaRoche

Post by LaRoche »

Hi Iam actually located in Australia so I dont think the VIN and rego number would be much use?

I will try the dealer here with the part number and see how he goes