Tips on buying a C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

dieseldoggy wrote:

The Saab's just a vectra with some saab bits on top ie badge? no wonder GM's going/gone bankrupt! they have taken a great brand and quite royaly screwed it!
This is true, her older, real SAAB 900 was better in quite a few respects.

ETA: Actually hers is an Astra- It is a 900 before they became a 93.
The 95 is the Vectra platform.
Hers is a bright yellow cabriolet. Each morning on my way to work I pass an identical car, even the same registration year (R) and it is a 93.
Last edited by myglaren on 08 Jul 2009, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Have thought about C5. Tot up the prices and repairs of getting one and sorting it out.............it does add up to a few quid...........and lotsa work.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Still got Saab engines I believe, my boss at work recently acquired a 93 convertible, only the 150bhp version sadly, looking under the rather large bonnet I was pleased to see how accessible everything was, looks like a very easy car to work on. Overall I was expecting nothing more than a jazzed up vauxhall, but was pleasantly surprised, the rides even not too bad.. well nothing compared to hydractive, but not as hard as my friends honda jazz.
Whilst its true the GM era Saabs are generally thought to be not technically as good as the previous ones, i.e. McPherson struts instead of double wishbone. They just seem to be following the general trend of mechanical dumbing down which quite a few major motor manufactures started at the early to mid 90’s. Mercedes C class VS the 190, then more recently the new Honda Civic Vs the previous generation to name two, again switching to McPherson struts where Honda have always used double wishbone.

Whilst in stark contrast ford start offering technical advances, like rear multi link suspension as standard on a focus, and m0ndeo.

Even Citroen are dumbing down! Offering conventional sprung suspension in a C5… that’s not right!, ok so it is double wishbone, but still..

Will someone please think of the children.

*edit* Seems the early 93s still have Saab engines, the later ones (post 2003) have GM ones, as will the mk2 95 when it comes out. :(
Last edited by Sid_the_Squid on 09 Jul 2009, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
clme0255

Post by clme0255 »

C5 110 Hdi Estate

51 reg, purchased new. Just coming up to 125,000 miles. Engine remapped at about 2000 miles :D

Had some dealer recalls when new but apart from what you might call routine maintenance have only one one expensive problem, new DMF, clutch and crank pulley at 90,000 miles.

Original battery replaced last December, and air con re-gassed for the first time this year.

The C5 is a competent and very under-rated car, though I'm very glad I don't have one of those pesky Eolys systems on mine.!
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Just going back to the SAAB stuff, Car Mechanics had a article in there a few months ago about buying and running one. It really put me off SAABs, especially the part about the bulkhead cracking where the steering rack is directly fitted to it without any reinforcement.

Steve.
not applicable
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have to say that when I bought the C5 i was on the verge of getting a 93 Aero but the amount of problems people had with them put me off too.
Plus the insurance rating and fuel consumption.
And the GM input.
Xantic
My Cars: In the past French ones
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
V reg Xantia Exclusive 2.0 hdi
BX Diesel 1.7
C5 2.2 Diesel exclusive auto.

Post by Xantic »

Thanks for all the info on the C5 guys..
I think i have made up my mind what i am going to buy..

A lottery ticket.. :P
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..