Citroen Synergie, displays are too dark to read

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davidp456

Citroen Synergie, displays are too dark to read

Post by davidp456 »

the 3 displays in the vehicle are so dark i cannot see them, any ideas please
Clock, Air Con and outside temperature.
i tried at night time and day time but to no avail.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Haven't been in a Synergie but if the displays are anything like mine there is a contrast setting in the menu.

The downside of that of course is that if you can't see the displays, getting into the menu is likely to be a problem.

Presuming that these are LCD displays?
davidp456

Post by davidp456 »

myglaren wrote:Haven't been in a Synergie but if the displays are anything like mine there is a contrast setting in the menu.

The downside of that of course is that if you can't see the displays, getting into the menu is likely to be a problem.

Presuming that these are LCD displays?
one display is in the middle of the console half way down, one is next to the sun visor and the other is inbetween the speedo and rev meter
all have black backgrounds and white writing, but in the day and night i can only just see them
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If you can see them then you may be able to get into the menu and adjust the contrast then - white on black is something I haven't seen before.
davidp456

Post by davidp456 »

myglaren wrote:If you can see them then you may be able to get into the menu and adjust the contrast then - white on black is something I haven't seen before.
i dont seem to have a menu, its not a computer screen just a basic clock with 4 digits
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The illumination bulbs will be out then. They don't enjoy a long life but it's not an easy job to swap them...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Could it just be that they are dimmed, Jim?
The illumination on mine is dimmed/brightened by repeatedly pushing a button on the panel, similar to the trip zero button. Perhaps there is a similar one on the Synergie?
davidp456

Post by davidp456 »

CitroJim wrote:The illumination bulbs will be out then. They don't enjoy a long life but it's not an easy job to swap them...
are there any guides on here on how to do it, on any of the 3 bulbs?
davidp456

Post by davidp456 »

myglaren wrote:Could it just be that they are dimmed, Jim?
The illumination on mine is dimmed/brightened by repeatedly pushing a button on the panel, similar to the trip zero button. Perhaps there is a similar one on the Synergie?
i got a rotating switch for dimming the speedo/radio/rpm etc but not for these
asav
My Cars:

Post by asav »

My synergie display is pretty much yellow (could be white) until i put the headlights on then it softens to an orange.

clock (uptop between the sunvisors) mine only comes on very occassionally some elec prob?

aircon is displayed down near the gearstick...

outside temp just above the gear indicator PNRD etc....could be a bulb, however if the gears are showing then i would have thought the outside temp is too?? sure its lit by same bulb...anyway changing the bulbs aint that much off a job just a bit of a fiddle to remove the screws from the bottom of the dash up through the steering column. the rest of its easy enough.

not sure if theres a dimmer...aint had it long enough to find everything!
davidp456

Post by davidp456 »

asav wrote:My synergie display is pretty much yellow (could be white) until i put the headlights on then it softens to an orange.

clock (uptop between the sunvisors) mine only comes on very occassionally some elec prob?

aircon is displayed down near the gearstick...

outside temp just above the gear indicator PNRD etc....could be a bulb, however if the gears are showing then i would have thought the outside temp is too?? sure its lit by same bulb...anyway changing the bulbs aint that much off a job just a bit of a fiddle to remove the screws from the bottom of the dash up through the steering column. the rest of its easy enough.

not sure if theres a dimmer...aint had it long enough to find everything!
Thanks for that
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Re: Citroen Synergie, displays are too dark to read

Post by Ross_K »

davidp456 wrote:the 3 displays in the vehicle are so dark i cannot see them, any ideas please
Sounds like the backlight bulbs are gone. You tried replacing them as a first option?

Try some LED bulbs so you don't have to go back in there for a while :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0376673883
ImageImage
davidp456

Re: Citroen Synergie, displays are too dark to read

Post by davidp456 »

Ross_K wrote:
davidp456 wrote:the 3 displays in the vehicle are so dark i cannot see them, any ideas please
Sounds like the backlight bulbs are gone. You tried replacing them as a first option?

Try some LED bulbs so you don't have to go back in there for a while :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0376673883
i will try but really looking for a guide or a pic for help
asav
My Cars:

Post by asav »

??? no guide/pic sorry.

first remove the airblower from the lefthand side of dash 3 screws (those funny star head screws) then just pulls out.
then remove the screws from the inside top centre and the right hand side of dash (they're a little awkward but do-able)
then you have to remove the cowling(cover) from the steering wheel 2 screws underneath.
then (this is the difficult bit) you have to try and get up through the steering column to remove 1 or 2 screws that are holding the bottom of the dash in...pain
rest is easy just pull the dash out and the instrument panel should come out with a bit of a jiggle...there might be a screw holding it in at the top centre?

once out you are meet with a mass of bulbs...trail and error getting them replaced....i removed 1 that worked and then tested it in other ones...see what was working or not.......

good luck with it
davidp456

Post by davidp456 »

asav wrote:??? no guide/pic sorry.

first remove the airblower from the lefthand side of dash 3 screws (those funny star head screws) then just pulls out.
then remove the screws from the inside top centre and the right hand side of dash (they're a little awkward but do-able)
then you have to remove the cowling(cover) from the steering wheel 2 screws underneath.
then (this is the difficult bit) you have to try and get up through the steering column to remove 1 or 2 screws that are holding the bottom of the dash in...pain
rest is easy just pull the dash out and the instrument panel should come out with a bit of a jiggle...there might be a screw holding it in at the top centre?

once out you are meet with a mass of bulbs...trail and error getting them replaced....i removed 1 that worked and then tested it in other ones...see what was working or not.......

good luck with it
thanks will try it tomorrow