wheel bolts xsara help me

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simonelsey
My Cars:

wheel bolts xsara help me

Post by simonelsey »

I got to work this morning and thoaght I jack the car up and check on the front pads .

Undone the the wheels nuts to find one Bolt has sheard level with the disc.

How the hell can I get this out . :oops:

I am really stuffed as I was just going to throw some pads into at work as Cant really afford a garage bill (until next year when I either spen money on it or sell her), thou it looks like its goto have to go in to the garage

any advice , cheap remdies kindly needed
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

You could try removing the disc & then there will be a little of the bolt sticking out (the thickness of the center of the disk)...maybe you could get mole grips on the end of the bolt.

Failing that I think your best bet would be to get someone to weld a bolt to the snapped wheel bolt so you can get it out...a friendly back street garage should do it no problem for a few beer tokens!

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

70 odd quid later , garage took 1.5 hours to do job , reoved bolt thread and recut thread , luck as worst case was new hub and bearing .
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

It must have been well stuck (rusted into the hub) if it took a garage 90 minutes to get it out.

I always put a smear of copper grease on every wheel bolt & crack them off at leas every 6 months if not sooner.

Always crack them off if you have just had new tyres fitted or anything done to the car in a garage that would necessitate them removing the wheels, as they nearly all use "Windy Guns" to do the bolts up & they are always far to tight.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

uncle buck wrote:It must have been well stuck (rusted into the hub) if it took a garage 90 minutes to get it out.

I always put a smear of copper grease on every wheel bolt & crack them off at leas every 6 months if not sooner.

Always crack them off if you have just had new tyres fitted or anything done to the car in a garage that would necessitate them removing the wheels, as they nearly all use "Windy Guns" to do the bolts up & they are always far to tight.

Cheers.
Thanks , I will Be seeing MR ATS at some point ..

Looking at the proble , I do believe they took the disc off to give them the thread needed to get leverage , so a bit of time taken caliper off to get the disc off .

I will be replacing the whole set of bolts just incase its fatigued caused