Failed emmisions mot

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andy007
My Cars:

Failed emmisions mot

Post by andy007 »

Hi All
Hope this helps someone.
My beloved Xantia failed it's emmisions and as we all know some garages will take advantage of this. Here's the story.
62k on the clock and for the past year, since last mot, seemed a bit heavy on fuel. Its automatic and just put it down to local trafic conditions.
It went for MOT last week and failed as emmisions were high. Engine Management light was on ond off and looked like a serious problem. Took it to my great mechanic who first thought it was this and that but narrowed it down to the Lambda sensor on the Cat exhaust.
Put a new one in and all is fine and dandy. Passed with flying colours and fuel econ is brilliant. Cost me £75 plus fitting and my girl is back as good as new. I did contact a citroen dealer, like you do, just to get info on the original problem and they were going to charge a fortune just to have a look. I DONT THINK SO!!
I hope this helps someone in the same boat as I have had newer and, some would say, more modern cars, but for me the Xantia is far superior to most of today's cars and who cares if it's not in keeping with the Jones's