Built in stereo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

lolingram wrote:
Xac wrote: So they try to cram the bandwidth with as many rubbish stations as they can, reducing the bit rate of each so that in most cases, FM actually has higher quality sound.
Exactly so. In my experience, DAB never sounded actually better than best quality FM Xac... FM is near to CD quality given good reception and an excellent home tuner. My Quad FM 66 tuner of 1980 technolgy still passes muster.
You'd probably be pushing it to improve on a Quad 66 without spending astronomical sums of money!
I doubt the 99 is much better, if at all.

I only realised that FM was being killed of in favour of DAB very recently - I don't have a radio and never listen to the car radio, drives me nuts, so I'm not personally affected but it does seem a rather cavalier action on the part of the ptb.

Situation normal then.

The 'choice' thing is indeed a red herring. I have loads of TV channels and chose to ignore almost all of them.
Come to think of it, there is radio built in to the TV. Never tried it :(
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

You'd probably be pushing it to improve on a Quad 66 without spending astronomical sums of money!

I only realised that FM was being killed of in favour of DAB very recently - I don't have a radio and never listen to the car radio, drives me nuts, so I'm not personally affected but it does seem a rather cavalier action on the part of the ptb.
I am a classical music nut, so R3 and 4 meet all needs... here in Frogland, we get BBC radio via satellite in CD quality. On French roads France Musique is available almost everywhere; also Classiqe - a commercial channel somewhat akin to Classic FM.

Quad 66 is indeed close to the top in FM quality. The 99 series is equally excellent, but does not seem to be cherished on eBay to the same extent as the 66/606 kit.

Sorry, a bit OT....
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Exactly so. In my experience, DAB never sounded actually better than best quality FM Xac... FM is near to CD quality given good reception and an excellent home tuner. My Quad FM 66 tuner of 1980 technolgy still passes muster.[/quote]

Personally im a naim/linn/thorens person with a meriden 206b cd/dac player and an hitachi ft6600 mk2 tuner which gives you alsorts of tuning info. but thinking of selling as never use now.

but this is side tracking the guy's question about his player!
Don't know where he resides but if not to far could sort out for him no problem.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

If you're looking to upgrade your ICE have a look at Car Audio Direct - http://www.caraudiodirect.com. I've dealt with them quite a bit and they seem good. Their forums are good too - http://www.talkaudio.co.uk.

I found that as well as fitting better speakers in the doors, stuffing the edges of the speaker mounting on the door cards improved the sound due to less sound cancellation from the rear of the speaker leaking through to the front.

Looking at the size of the magnets on the C5's speakers it's surprising it sounds as good as it does.

Steve.
not applicable
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Personally im a naim/linn/thorens person with a meriden 206b cd/dac player and an hitachi ft6600 mk2 tuner which gives you alsorts of tuning info. but thinking of selling as never use now.
Naim/Linn/Meridian is really good kit IMHO. I have a Thorens TD125 and Ortofon SPU E MC that sounds delightful after all the years... also Nikon F and two F2s... not at all sad to have miss spent my youth when I did.

Sorry about the continued OTs.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote: The 'choice' thing is indeed a red herring. I have loads of TV channels and chose to ignore almost all of them.
Come to think of it, there is radio built in to the TV. Never tried it :(
It's the spin of the gov, to try and make out they were empowering the people.
I don't want the choice to go to a top notch hospital for treatment 100 miles away, i want my local hospital to be top notch.
Same with schools, I don't want the choice to send my future children to the great school 20 miles away, I want my local school to be great.
And with DAB I don't want hundreds of stations which pump out low quality poor taste music to the detriment of those which pump out good taste music and programs, especially when the bandwidth is so crowded that many commercial DAB stations can't get enough listeners to stay afloat.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

admiral51 wrote:Hi Andy
Im pretty sure Halfrauds sell them as do the Stealers.Also have a look on Fleabay :) :)
Colin
Shame 2B&Queue OrNot 2b&Queue don't have one then you could go there and stay all winter, and pay for it from the gas bill savings when you get out next year. :lol:
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual