Built in stereo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andy007
My Cars:

Built in stereo

Post by andy007 »

Hi All
Does anyone know the specs for the integrated car stereo on an M reg Xantia please? Output.. ohms .. Connectivity etc...
The factory fit speakers were good but over time I have had to replace them, front only, but just want that extra something without turning the car into a night club.
It's the original stereo but I would like to 'enhance' the output performance. Have tried different speaker manufacturer's and after a certain level the sound gets distorted. Is there a universal facia that could fit the hole if I decided to change the stereo? I do love good sound when I am travelling.

Thanks in advance
Andy
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Andy

Have a look Here should let you find some info out

Colin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'd hazard a guess that you need a supplimentary amp. Lots of Watts doesn't necessarily equate with boy-racerism, distortion does equate with a lack of power and will eventually destroy your speakers.

It is the converse of what you would logically expect, too few Watts bad, too many Watts =fine.
A sweeping generalisation I admit but essentially holds true.

On the practical side I have never dabbled with ICE so can't give any practical advice. My vice is home stereo.
andy007
My Cars:

stereo

Post by andy007 »

Hi To you both
Thanks for the reply.
I will take a look at the info and report back.
Regards
Andy

PS Xantia's rule in my book
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Andy

Forgot to say that there is a facia adaptor that will allow a newer/smaller radio/CD to fit snuggly in place.

Im pretty sure Halfrauds sell them as do the Stealers.Also have a look on Fleabay :) :)

Colin
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I'd hazard a guess that you need a supplimentary amp. Lots of Watts doesn't necessarily equate with boy-racerism, distortion does equate with a lack of power and will eventually destroy your speakers.
As Myglaren says, this is due to 'clipping' of the audio waveform, due to lack of dynamic power. This leads to near quare wave distortion, and burnt put speakers. More pure watts is better in this case!
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Ross_K
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Re: Built in stereo

Post by Ross_K »

andy007 wrote:Is there a universal facia that could fit the hole if I decided to change the stereo? I do love good sound when I am travelling.

Thanks in advance
Andy
Autoleads FP-12-00 - you should be able to pick one up for a fiver on ebay:
ImageImage
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Personally i'd change head unit as pretty poor.the standard speakers are very good italian made.unless your going to spend a fair bit get some more of them.or put component speakers in.but have a look around as aftermarket speakers will lose you're bass end as their designed to work with other speakers ie subs to give you full range. you have two tweeters on top of dash also. yes you can get the adaptor from most places for them.it's an autoleads part. then it's pretty easy to change once you have contrived the bits out and installed adaptor.bit fiddly.the leads plug straight in and link up.depending on what unit you get? as some will still work with streering wheel controls! ive a blaupunkt dab one and you just buy add on which plugs in back then links up wires.citroens do make a could car for an install as OE stuff is quite large so can get something good to fill holes! i'd did door builds on my estate back door and have 6x9's in them. But you're head unit is week spot. pity you're not up this way i could show/do it for you no problem as done loads of installs. still got some kef uniQ's.

If i was buying new headunit now i'd be looking at something DAB able?
xantia 19td estate 96-7
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

If you do get a DAB replace the aerial with the long type from a Renault or other French car of the era. Then simply connect the centres of the two antenna sockets by stuffing a piece of wire in. It sounds like a total bodge, mostly because it is, but my in-car DAB performs better than any other DAB (car or house) I've come across.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

If you do get a DAB replace the aerial with the long type from a Renault or other French car of the era. Then simply connect the centres of the two antenna sockets by stuffing a piece of wire in. It sounds like a total bodge, mostly because it is, but my in-car DAB performs better than any other DAB (car or house) I've come across.
Bearing in mind that no other European country uses (nor likely to in the forseeable future) the UK/BBC DAB system, which is still far from perfection. The Beeb claimed at the outset that it would mean higher fidelity than FM analigue mon/stereo.

The sad facts are that the Beeb often transmit in low Bit format, which is nowhere near the quality of Radio 3/4 FM. With a really good home FM tuner, the sound quality on FM can be staggeringly good (as long as the Beeb turn down the dynamic compression).

The only plus side(!) is that the government can flog off much of Band II.... sad how things are going to the dogs in UK. Once a really great country, but now the biggest police state in Europe, with little real democracy.
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Ross_K
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Get with the times - DAB is old hat already. :D

3G internet access is getting (more) affordable so I think internet radio on the move will be the way to go in the next few years...

I've been messing around with >>> Resco Radio <<< on my phone connected to a Sony headunit via front the input jack. Quality is fine as long as you don't go mad listening to 128k audio streams. Coverage is hit and miss out in the sticks (as is the case with DAB), but for townies with unlimited data contracts it's an interesting possibility.
ImageImage
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Get with the times - DAB is old hat already. Very Happy

3G internet access is getting (more) affordable so I think internet radio on the move will be the way to go in the next few years...

I've been messing around with >>> Resco Radio <<< on my phone connected to a Sony headunit via front the input jack. Quality is fine as long as you don't go mad listening to 128k audio streams. Coverage is hit and miss out in the sticks (as is the case with DAB), but for townies with unlimited data contracts it's an interesting possibility.
Old hat is usually good in my experience over more years than I care to remember... analogue FM has served us very well indeed since the early 50's experimental transmissions from Wrotham. I built a receiver then, which produced serious HiFi to 15khz, and was a revelation. The eventual shutdown of this technolgy will be a body blow IMHO.

I live in Frogland, where there are no immediate plans to change, thank God. They can do what they like when I kick my clogs!
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If memory serves, DAB is based on 1982 technology.
It would be ok but our government has it in it's head that choice is what people want, to the detriment of everything else.
So they try to cram the bandwidth with as many rubbish stations as they can, reducing the bit rate of each so that in most cases, FM actually has higher quality sound.
The worry is they're talking about taking the national stations off FM, so no more Radio4 for me after 2012
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Xac wrote: So they try to cram the bandwidth with as many rubbish stations as they can, reducing the bit rate of each so that in most cases, FM actually has higher quality sound.
Exactly so. In my experience, DAB never sounded actually better than best quality FM Xac... FM is near to CD quality given good reception and an excellent home tuner. My Quad FM 66 tuner of 1980 technolgy still passes muster.
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

The worry is they're talking about taking the national stations off FM, so no more Radio4 for me after 2012
You can still listen to all BBC channels on FTA satellite (Eurobird @ 28.2ºE) in CD quality Xac
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...