Ridin' high on silvery/black spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

George

Ridin' high on silvery/black spheres

Post by George »

I'm helping a friend with his 2.0l HDi Xantia.

The fronts riding very high on the normal setting, the wheel arch is four and three quarter inches above the the top of the tyre tread.

Everythings fine on the high setting (the arch is six inches above the tyre tread), everythings fine on the low setting.

I've tried setting to normal from low, also I've tried setting to normal from high there's no difference.

I've been under the car (after taking the safety measures) to take a look at the height corrector, the white plastic thingy seems to be intact and I've given the workings a liberal dosing of WD40.

Prior to my friend buying this car, it had the front spheres changed for these Citroen badged silvery/black ones. This was the surprise to me as I've only seen green ones. Could this be the problem?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

welcome to this site,

were did the spheres come from, as they are probably re/con but even still the spheres dont usualy affect the hights,

i would say either the linkage is seized solid, or someone has tamperd with the fixed adjustment settings,

regards malcolm
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If memory serves, aren't grey sphere's for the C5 and were tested out on some late Xantias?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Xac wrote:If memory serves, aren't grey sphere's for the C5 and were tested out on some late Xantias?
Yes but could hardly be described as silvery - very drab looking articles they are.

Actually looks better here than IRL. Mine are very dowdy.
George

Post by George »

myglaren wrote:
Xac wrote:If memory serves, aren't grey sphere's for the C5 and were tested out on some late Xantias?
Yes but could hardly be described as silvery - very drab looking articles they are.

Actually looks better here than IRL. Mine are very dowdy.
Definatly black with a hint of silver, they sparkle so have some metallic paint. I'll scratch 'em tomorrow to make sure they ain't some custom paint job.
George

Post by George »

citronut wrote:welcome to this site,

were did the spheres come from, as they are probably re/con but even still the spheres dont usualy affect the hights,

i would say either the linkage is seized solid, or someone has tamperd with the fixed adjustment settings,

regards malcolm
Thank's Malcolm

I'm reading some of the cars history now, the front spheres were changed last july. The garage charged the previous owner over fifty quid each, so I presume they were new, apart from the odd colour, they are a bit of an odd shape and don't match the others on the car.

Whilst I was under the car my friend operated the contol linkage and as far as I could tell (it's not easy to see whats going on) the linkage and the springs were moving. The plastic clip was secure in place and no probs with the anti-roll bar.

So how do I tamper with the fixed adjustment settings to return this to normal?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Firstly give the height corrector linkage a few applications of WD40, or anything oily would do. If that doesn't improve it, the height adjustment is effected by rotating the clamp on the anti roll bar that is connected to height control with the engine running. You must have plenty of room under the car when at its lowest suspension setting because it can drop suddenly. Slacken the clamp pinch bolt and rotate the clamp around the bar until the correct height is reached, if the drive shafts are parrellel to the road - that's about right. You only need to move the clamp a small ammount but there is usually a delay before anything happens.
George

Post by George »

Thank's Peter that's very helpful!

Now I don't have access to a ramp nor a pit, but I have super sturdy axel stands what I use on commercial vehicles. So the car would not be falling anywhere, rather the front wheels will rise when the selector is set to low?

Or does it need the weight of the car on the suspension to acheive the lowered position?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, you need the weight of the car on the wheels when you are adjusting it. Makes it difficult if you dont have access to a ramp.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as Peter says you cant set up the hights with the weight off the wheels,

but before you go anywhere near that adjustment make 200% sure the linkage's are doing there stuff,

as these adjustments should be the very last resort

regards malcolm
George

Post by George »

Thank's Peter.N and Citroenut,

I finally got around to fixing this this evening, got the car up on four ramps, an 11mm wobbly socket and a large screwdriver, up it went, down it went, got it just right and alls well!

Another Citroen suspension mystery solved.

Thank's again.

BTW, the strange spheres weren't custom paint and remain a mystery.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i hope it is sorted, but i belive it was still more likely to be sticking linkages,

when you was whatching it move with your freind opperating the lever,

you would probably mainly see the manual hight limkage move, but the auto self leveling bit/turret might not have moved much if at all, as this will only move whilst the suspension is going up and down,

the turret linked to the manual adjuster rod is as said (manual hight adjuster)

the other one is the auto self adjuster linked to the anti roll bar

as i have said before im sure you cant free these of long term whilst attatched to the system

regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Grey LHM spheres discussed here: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=27503

£50 each would be about the right price for Citroen Originals.
Richard W