New bulbs needed ZX 1.9 TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bavist

New bulbs needed ZX 1.9 TD

Post by Bavist »

I need to replace several bulbs on my M reg ZX. I've not changed them before and it seems that there is quiet a few to chose from. I do a lot of dual carriage way driving and would like to get good value for my money. Can anyone suggest what type/make I should go for. And should I replace them all at once or just replace the ones that have blown with the cheapest option?

Thanks for your help any advice would be gratefully received
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Der!!!
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I think that the lack of replies indicates that most (all?) of the people here don't give a second thought to the make of bulbs fitted.

Personally I fit the cheapest bulbs I can find provided that they are E marked.

Secondly I only ever replace the bulb that has blown UNLESS it's something like a front sidelamp bulb where you have to remove the front bumper (Grrrr!) to remove the headlamp to change the bulb. In that case I would (did!) take the other headlamp out and preventively change the sidelamp bulb.

I suppose the only bulb with options is the headlamp bulb or bulbs. There I have fitted +30% bulbs for a little extra brightness. I know that double life bulbs (in standard brightness) are available but have never used the. If your headlamp bulbs are an absolute pain to get at then this might be a possibility for you.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Bavist

Post by Bavist »

Thanks Paul-R your response to my question was useful and backed up what some others had said (obviously not here!).

I can only offer my apologies to all those who's time was wasted by me posting this question. Especially to you Falling-out-with-my-car as i am sure you had much better things to do with your time. It must of taken you ages to write Der!!! let alone the time it must of taken you to think of it and for that i am truly sorry.

I was under the impression that there is no such thing as a stupid question only stupid answers.
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Bavist

Never had any dealings with the ZX but if as Paul-R says the bumper needs to come off then yes change both cause you just know whats going to happen if you dont..... :) :)

I think Peter.N has a ZX so im sure he can offer some pointers to what wattage/brightness(OK out of my depth here :lol: ) to go for

I havnt changed any of my Xantia bulbs for anything other than standard bulbs but i have still got the relay mod to due at some stage :)

Colin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have heard that Osram last longer but this is purely ancdotal, no hard data.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I've never had to change any of the front bulbs on the Volcane in the five years we've had it. It's a good job really, since the headlamp connectors have cooked and won't come off anyway!

None of the ZX bulbs require bumpers to be removed BTW.

I've had issues with the rear bulbs in the past. The bulb appears to have failed, but the problem is actually corrosion on the contactors in the socket. A quick scrape and clean solves this.

As for the original question, I've never had any real preference when it comes to bulbs. I usually get the best that Halfrauds offer.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Ross_K
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

I always used Osram Silverstars on my ZXs.

Having said that, the lens design doesn't seem to be as crap as the XM or Mk1 Xantia so Silverstars aren't such a necessity on the ZX.

Sod's law says that if you don't replace blown bulbs in pairs, the other one will blow two days later anyway... :lol: :lol: :lol:
falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Der!!!
I suppose that made sense to you, eh? :roll:
ImageImage
Bavist

Post by Bavist »

Thanks for the posts. It turned out to be easy to replace the bulbs however I'm now not sure that blown bulbs was the complete problem. (for those interested I purchased the Phillips H1 12V 55W Vision Plus 50% bulbs from Autobulbs direct.co.uk they were BOGOF and the sidelights and postage were free. £18 for 6 bulbs delivered to my door the next day)

Back to the problem...........

Both sidelights work

The drivers headlamp works but not the passengers

and

The passengers main beam works but not the Drivers?????????

Ive checked the fuses but they are all fine but other than that I'm out of ideas. Has this happened to anyone else? is it a common ZX fault?

Any help or info appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Bavist
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry Colin, in five years I have never had a bulb go! :o One headlight went out once but that turned out to be a bad connection.
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Is it possable that the headlight/main beams are run from independant fuses for each side in such a way that you only loose one of them not both on each side. :? :?
Has the car had a relay mod done for the lights by anychance have you got power to the bulb holders?

Could be a bad earth

I know you have new bulbs but do the "duds" work in the opposite side not been unknown that new bulbs are naff

Colin
Bavist

Post by Bavist »

No I've tried switching the bulbs around and still get the same outcome I will however check out the earth and relays.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Are you certain that they are the correct bulbs?
some, mainly dual filament rears, have a different bayonet offset than standard and will never work properly in the wrong socket, although they can be made to fit.
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

check under bonnet as thing same as zanty they have a fuse for each light? also steering coluum have to take cowl of as switch can play up sometimes.
i use led's for rear's and sidelights plus interiors.there is so great one's around now. what bulb type is on ZX's main.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
Bavist

Post by Bavist »

The ZX main bulb is a H1 (i think?) so this is what I have replaced it with. I did do a couple of 'Find the right bulb' checks on websites before buying new ones online. One of the sites said I needed H4 but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't fit in to my lights. I'll have another check tomorrow to see if I can find out if each light has its own fuse. Probably should just go and buy a Haynes manual. Not needed to before as it is so easy to change the oil, fuel and air filter and this is all I have needed to do.