c5 est rear window

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

c5 est rear window

Post by john alexander »

Hi just bit the bullet and bought an 06 C5 1.6 HDI estate , The back window wont open , the handle has broken off and glued back on. The question is how do I get the window open to replace the handle and is it worth the hassel . My main dealer claims to always have them in stock, always breaking ? All help gratefully received , with pics if possible . Regards John.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

When you say the back window, do you mean the tailgate glass?

If you do then it's usually a break in the electrical line printed onto the glass itself. If your dealer is selling loads of handles for this it's because he doesn't know what's really going on!

EDIT

No you can't mean that because you talk about a rear handle and there isn't one on the tailgate!

Sorry.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Yes the circuit on the glass goes on them but so do the little microswitches which are part of the handle onto the glass, I would imagine these could be quite easy to break if you didnt know how to get them off. To get the glass open lift the tailgate & pop the top row of plastic pins of the trim, If you look in there you will see a solenoid with a rod on it attatched to the catch, just push this down the glass will pop open. There is also a good chance of breaking the rear wiper arm on removal when changing the handle as they are made of flimsy plastic & the metal insert siezes onto the spindle, they are quite cheap though if i remember right.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi paul , yes i did mean the tailgate glass and I meant the handle at the wiper, Thanks also wheeler , I need to decide if I want to use it or not , it also looks like the element on the glass has a few breaks at the end but it only cost me £2900 with full service history, the down side being the 97k on the clock. regards john.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I honestly cant see the point in the opening glass, I would just leave the soleniod disconected & forget the opening glass if it were mine.
If you want in the boot just open the tailgate :wink: