ghost errors on C5-II ? Error P05D2, P1351

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronel
My Cars:

ghost errors on C5-II ? Error P05D2, P1351

Post by citronel »

Hello,

I have a C5-II 1.6HDI FAP - 2005 ~136500km, I liked so much my car so the result is that my girlfriend also have a C5-II 1.6HDI FAP - 2005 ~92500km, both cars are purchased SH for ~1.5 - 1 year.
I try to service myself this cars because I like it and also made some saving to buy the service interface Lexia3 -sw344.

From the beginning I have on both cars the error in the pics and I also seen this errors also on another 2-3 cars, same cars: C5-II 1.6HDI - 2005.

None of the cars have any other symptom only that error recorded in computer error log;
no problems with ESP / Suspension / COM2000 or Injection; all start ok in winter at -15 -20C.

I made some tests; and in my opinion all seem to be ok:
- Steering wheel angle displayed ok in live reading and also calibrated OK.
- Preheating relay test looks ok - sound OK at test and visual checking.

anybody have more experience with this 2 errors ?
I have the impression that this are some kind of ghost errors, sw errors.

thank you.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Are there any operating faults with the cars or warninglights/messages coming on ? If not then i would ignore them.
I believe the P1351 fault may be caused by a glowplug gone open circuit, this most likley wouldnt show any starting problems as this engine doesent need them unless its really cold.
citronel
My Cars:

Post by citronel »

Hi,

Nope, nothing else, no warnings only this 2 errors that still appear in Lexia after I delete them.

Yesterday I checked the preheating relay, removed, cleaned the contacts and refitted & retested with Lexia, I will see in time if error still return.

Any hint how to check the glow plugs to know if they are ok or not ?

Because in winter cars start ok at -15C, no problems at all.

best regards.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

They are a bit aukward to get at but to check them you can do a resistance check on them to see if any are open circuit.
citronel
My Cars:

Post by citronel »

@wheeler

thank you for the tip, checked my car and this is what I found:
- error P1351 returned after deleted yesterday.

checked at relay connector ( 1158 ) resistance to GND:

pin 1 - 0.1 Ohm - short circuit to GND
pin 2 - 29 MOhm
pin 6 - 0.1 Ohm - short circuit to GND
pin 7 - 0.1 Ohm - short circuit to GND

pin 3 - 13 KOhm to GND.
pin 8 - No connection/resistance to GND or to pin 3.
also checked pin 3 & 8 to injection computer and connection are OK.

what is the conclusion ?
glow plug from pin 2 - 1184 = bad ?

thank you
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

citronel wrote: what is the conclusion ?
Looks like glowplug 1884 has gone down then.

A word of warning, you should never use an ohmeter on the ECU wiring (pins 3 & 8 of the glowplug relay) with the ECU still connected, the ohmeter sends out a voltage which can damage ECU's.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

citronel wrote:what is the conclusion ?
It certainly looks that way. On the offchance that it's a faulty lead why not use the ohmmeter see iff the lead to No2 glowplug is continuous from relay to plug?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
citronel
My Cars:

Post by citronel »

OK thank you for help.

I think I will try to check first the other car to see if have the similar fault at glow plug and after that to order new glow plug.

will keep you posted.
citronel
My Cars:

Post by citronel »

I checked the second car this night and it have exactly the same glow plug problem.
This time the glow plug have no resistor to GND, and wiring till glow plug it is ok.

next step will be to order a glow plug and try to change it... work space at glow plug it is very small, at the back of the engine and no visibility.
citronel
My Cars:

Post by citronel »

I study this videos before I decided to change one faulty glow plug in my 1.6HDI engine today and the true is I was a little afraid after seen the video with stuck glow plugs:
http://www.klann-online.de/englisch/Movies_E.htm

I started the work this evening and found that I don't have the proper tools to remove the glow plug;
so after a quick visit to a shop I returned with what I needed: "long" tubular key nr 7 and 8.
Access for this work it is bad, had to use mirror to be able to see something after I removed the air filter housing and intake and in the end I found that the only way to do this job is to climb on top of the engine... luck me the C5 have hydraulic suspension so car was on his belly already and climbed easy.

I succeed to unscrew easy the glow plug, but I was unable to remove the glow plug after fully unscrewed... I used some WD-40 to lubricate and in the end I succeed to remove the glow plug intact.
I lubricated the new glow plug with WD-40 and screwed easy in his place, tighten the plug very carefully with low torque but when I connected the wire and screw the nut I feel something is wrong... removed the glow plug and seen that it is broken... no idea if this is my fault when I try to screw the nut or the glow plug was faulty before, my impression is that was faulty before... will try tomorrow to finish the job if I will succeed to buy another glow plug... ordered and payed 2 glow plugs but I received only one glow plug today... maybe tomorrow I am luck and will get the last glow plug... any way I will have to order another glow plug for the last car.

citronel
My Cars:

Post by citronel »

Hi,

I changed faulty glow plug on both cars and I deleted error P1351 with Lexia.
Did a quick engine running test and looks like error P1351 it's gone; injection ECU fault log it is empty now.

If anybody have a clue about error P05D2 please let me know.

thank you for help & tips.

best regards.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Wow -those special tools are pretty impressive :shock: Glad that you didn't need them though!
I'd suggest something like copper grease on the plug threads rather than WD40, which might carbonise over time and actually cause the problem it's intended to solve.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I believe P05D2 is a phantom fault. i would ignore it.
Also did you not change all of the glowplugs ? the others will just go one by one.
citronel
My Cars:

Post by citronel »

Hi

I just changed the faulty one on both car at this moment because the price for 1 glow plug NGK YE-04 it is ~21E; not very cheap... 8 glow plugs 168E.

The strange thing is that on both cars exactly the same glow plug was faulty, the one near injection pomp, ( cylinder 4 ) and car have different mileage 135.000km and 93.000km.
Will monitor and see when other glow plug will fail.
Last edited by citronel on 11 Sep 2009, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronel wrote:Hi

I just changed the faulty one on both car at this moment because the price for 1 glow plug NGK YE-04 it is ~21E; not very cheap... 8 glow plugs 168E.
That seems very expensive, compared to this price

I tried to look on EuroCarParts but the listing is a mess and says it can't give prices for C5 ignition leads :(.

GSF were no better.