V6 Oil Level Measuring

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

V6 Oil Level Measuring

Post by CitroJim »

I'm confused :?

The stated capacity of the ES9J4 engines is said to be 5.25 litres.

I refilled after the rebuild and put a little less than 5 litres in.

When stone cold and the car has been standing overnight, the oil level is about half an inch ABOVE the Max. mark; right up onto the springy bit of the dipstick. This is after dipping, wiping and redippping.

On checking as per the handbook it says the level must be checked after the engine has been standing for at least 10 minutes. If I check after about an hour, the level is between the Max and Min marks, if anything, toward the Min mark.

So what's the right right way to check the oil level because as I say, I'm confused... :?

Also, on the subject of levels, where does the water level naturally settle out in the expansion tank when stone cold?

Thanks!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Jim,

I usually check a car about 15-20mins after standing in the current heatwaves but usually do as the manuals say and go for 10minutes when i check the oil levels.

Then again i would check both sides of the stick if its anything like the one in my Activa :lol:

The wifes Swifty says 15mins and when i check it then its just under max marker, after 30mins or so it goes above that.

I wonder if its the extra time the oil cna drain off the head and back into the sump??
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I usually check mine as per the handbook, warm engine after standing for a while, but having said that I have checked when stone cold and also immediately after stopping and it seems to make very little difference on mine, the level is always between min and max. Perhaps your oil is too thick :wink:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Both :D I'm running semi-synthetic 10W/40 at this time Stempy so I guess that should be OK.

Will, yes, knowing the old two sides of the same dipstick trap on XUs I checked that too but there is a heck of an acreage of heads on the V6 to trap oil so I'm thinking it's like SWMBOs Swift in that respect...

All the fun of finding out about the quirks of a new engine :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I use fully synthetic 5W40 in mine so perhaps that's the difference.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy wrote:I use fully synthetic 5W40 in mine so perhaps that's the difference.
Ahh, yes, because it'll drain down from the top end that much sooner. I'll confess to having quite cheap Halfrauds 10W/40 in mine at the moment as I don't plan to leave it in there too long...
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Jim stone cold should be more acurate,

may be your oil is not drainning straight back to the sump quick enough,

its not the atmosferic presure in Milton Keyens is it

regards malcolm