Xantia nasty noise when lowering from 'high'

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

digikid
My Cars:

Post by digikid »

We have owned 4 Xantias from new in our household, a 93TD saloon, a 97TD estate, a 99 110HDI saloon and a 99 110HDI estate. The 93 saloon did not make this noise, the other three did from new.
No other related problem has been apparent, and I regard it as a characteristic.
John
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

....Which again suggests its related in some way to the anti-sink.
The 93 TD wouldn't have had it, but the other three would.
Nick
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Well, I'm still on BX, so I can't say much about mentioned noise, but I think that it could be produced by anti-sink valves. This is my theory:
Anti-sink valve opens when the pressure in the input side is higher than working pressure of the suspension. When the system is operational, and the height lever is in normal position, you have 140-175 bar on input side, and up to about 100 bar in suspension, so the valves are open. When you move the lever to the highest position, pressure in suspension will gradually reach pressure in regulator (so the suspension becomes stiff) and anti-sink valves will gradually close.
Upon returning the lever to normal driving position, anti-sink valves would open, I think, when the pressure in suspension cylinders drops a little because of slight internal leakage. This won't be very fast, so the noise may be produced by LHM flowing through very small opening in the valves. Can someone tell me, how much time does it take from the moment when you move the lever back from highest position to the moment when the Xantia with anti-sink start to dive back to normal position? On BX, it's only several second (it's normal reacting time of height correctors).
However, on my BX, you can hear some noise when lowering the suspension from the high, and it's definitively produced by compressed rubber bump stops inside front struts (it can be felt if you grab sphere base by hand). But it's not to worry about it.