Shell V Power Diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

firstrebel
My Cars:

Shell V Power Diesel

Post by firstrebel »

I have used Shell's V Power petrol in my Volvo T5 for a long time, it runs better and is certainly a lot more responsive to the throttle. I don't get any more mpg from it.

Since getting my 1.9TD Xantia lats Easter I have often put a tank of V Power diesel in just to clean out the system, as it had stood unused for some time.

The car has always had a clutch judder moving off, not traced the exact cause yet, but up until last week I found that I could move off smoothly by just engaging the clutch at tickover speed and then pull off. The tank was nearly empty so I filled up with regular Shell diesel, and now I cannot do that. I have to rev up and slip the clutch a bit to avoid the judder.

Has anyone used the V Power diesel and found any difference.

Bob
Robert Isaac

1997 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate. 152000 miles
1995 Volvo 855 T5 Auto - Chipped. 186000 miles
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I run my diesels exclusively on vegetable oil or v-power, and my activa exclusively on v-power petrol because of the good results I've had with their diesel.
Infact v-power is the only diesel that Cassy now likes, all the rest make her so gutless.

To give you an idea, a while back I had to take a friend to her sister in laws birthday party, so going from chichester to bexhill.
Unfortunately I hadn't had time to get to costco for veg the day before, so we filled up at Tesco on the way.
I thought there was something wrong with Cassy as she was so gutless.
I tried some esso ultimate when we got back but it made little difference.
Thankfully on the way home to MK there is a Shell garage on the A3, so I got some v-power and it made a difference.
Cassy wasn't back up to power until I'd filled her up with veg again.

When I had citrojim's 2.1TD, that performed much better on v-power.
Some people have reported increases in fuel economy that wipe out the extra cost of v-power so in my opinion it's the best diesel I've tried.

For 1.9TD's with bosch pumps, my fuel of choice is straight vegetable oil, followed by v-power.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

In my HDi I recently sold V-Power diesel made a very noticeable difference much more responsive and much better mpg, certainly for an HDi I would recommend judging by xac's comments its true for the TD as well.
Last edited by Sid_the_Squid on 28 Jun 2009, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have used thousands of gallons of diesel in my motoring life and can't say I have ever noticed any difference.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Tried V-Power diesel for three months but can't say there was any difference. Seemed to be at first but I think that was down to wishful thinking.

Currently evaluating Total Excellium diesel but insufficient data yet to offer an opinion.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I suspect that the performance / economy increases that seem to occur when first using a "premium" diesel fuel are down to the detergents etc. that they include doing a cleanup on the fuel system and injectors. I've tried several of these fuels and not really seen any major long-term benefit that justifies the price (I do pretty heavy mileage). I do tend to put a bottle of injector cleaner in the engine (forte is best) about every six months to a year and that, coupled with a good Italian tuneup now and then seems to keep the power up ok!
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I tried Forté Diesel System Cleaner and it did seem to make the engine a bit smoother and more responsive the first time, second time seemed to do the opposite (same 600+ mile round journey).