electrics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

allanmc
My Cars:

electrics

Post by allanmc »

I have a Xantia HDI Year 2000. I have no exterior lights or instrument lights can you help please. Allan
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

First impulse would be to check all fuses, a fault in this area in unlikely since both headlights have separate fuses. I suspect your main light switch may have burnt out or become faulty. Are your hazard-warning lights & or indicarors working, or can you flast the lights.
allanmc
My Cars:

electrics

Post by allanmc »

jmd, Thanks for getting back to me,I dont have Head Lights, Fog Lights,or Tail Lights, but I have Indicators, Brake Lights, Reversing Lights. Hope this helps. Allan
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Looks to me Allan, that your main switch remains the main suspect- it can hardly be fuses, as each light is served by different fuses. Check the wiring back from the headlights for chaffing and also fuses F12,F13,F14,and F15 in the engine compartement. Sorry I cannot be of more assistance. The main switch is my main suspect.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Allan,

If it will help, later today I can provide some wiring diagrams.

This problem, if it is not the switch, may be a break in the wiring in the infamous 10AV loom that runs acroos the front of the car under the radiator.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Thermonuclear
My Cars:

Post by Thermonuclear »

Had the same problem myself last winter. If you do a serch with "thermonuclear" as the author you will find a few threads explaining what a few of us had to do to fix this. When CitroJim posts the wiring diagrams you will see what we are talking about (he's good at posting wiring diagrams), or there in the back of a Haynes Manual if you have one.

Good Luck.
1996 Xantia 1.9 TD
1998 Xantia 1.8 16V
allanmc
My Cars:

electrics

Post by allanmc »

Thanks I took the light stock out is there any way to test it I thought I could put power to the light plug but I have no idea which pin is which, by the time I finished taking it out every place was shut so I dont know how much a new one will cost. Just a thought, this problem seems to have started after I removed the heater motor which runs all the time but I realy cant see that being relevent. Thanks to all who got back to me your advice is very welcome. Allan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If you can please bear with me for about an hour and a half Allan, I'll get the diagrams posed up for you...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Allan, finally and sorry for the delay :oops: Family matters...

Here are the three essential pages. These are for the headlamps. I'm sure if you get the headlamps working, all else will follow.

The first is the schematic circuit...

MK2 Headlamps Schematic

The second is the harness diagram. This shows the various harnesses (looms) that the wores run in and thir identities.

MK2 Headlamp harnesses

And the thirs is the location of the various harnesses and the plugs/sockets.

MK2 headlamp Locations

The point to note is the harness 10PR that runs below the rad. There is a splice in this harness between the engie bay fuse box BMF1 and the headlamp switch (item 0002).

This splice can be seen in the harness diagram as EBM4. These are known to corrode in the loom and go open-circuit.

This hopefully will enable you to crack the problem as those feeds to the switch labelled BMF4A-F feed just about all the lights one way and another.

I'm sorry the harness diagram is a bit on the skew. It is near the bac of the book and very hard to keep in place on the scanner :roll:
Jim

allanmc
My Cars:

electrics

Post by allanmc »

Its me again Ive tried to trace a fault underneath the radiator, no success
bought a new switch from Citroen, no good, and they wont take it back because they had to order it in, I dont know where to turn next, short of booking it in to Citroen which I am reluctant to do because of the cost, says me after buying a switch that was not the problem, its a pity because everything pointed to the switch, in the haynes manual they talk about a lighting reostat, dont know where it is or if its relevent.What do I do next. Allan
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The lighting rheostat may affect the internal (dash) lights but nothing otherwise.

I'd be looking for loose connections, especially earths, and checking any lighting relays are operating.

If you don't have an avometer, digital ones can be obtained very cheaply now, around £5 will get a simple one and £10 a reasonably advanced one, from eBay.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear that Allan :(

The lighting rehostat is the knob under the steering wheel cowling that adjusts the brightness of the instrument lights.

You need to check for voltages present at the switch connector.

If you do take it for professional diagnosis, your best bet will be an auto-electrician rather than a delaer. My diagrams should help him in his quest to fix it...
Jim

allanmc
My Cars:

electrics

Post by allanmc »

Thanks again to everyone who got back to me so quicklyIts good to know that an Auto Spark should be able to diagnose the problem I thought it would have to be Citroen. Ill keep you posted someone else might have the same problem in the future.Allan
allanmc
My Cars:

electrics

Post by allanmc »

Success at last auto spark diagnosed the problem in 5 Min. it was a broken feed to or from the switch Iam not to sure witch but anyway bridged the wire an alls well again. So its off to Skye tomorrow on holiday. unfortunately I now have a new Citroen light switch to sell,Allan
allanmc
My Cars:

electrics

Post by allanmc »

Hey there its me again with my lighting problem, auto spark fixed that problem but unfortunately I didnt realise that the instrument panel didnt light up, as you know it should light when you switch on the lights, as I had said I was going on holiday so when I came back I phoned the spark and he said he would come and fix it that was 4 weeks ago cant get him on the phone so can anyone tell me what might be wrong thanks
Allan