heater blower

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

allanmc
My Cars:

heater blower

Post by allanmc »

Car Xantia 2Ltr. HDI year 2000 yesterday heater blower started and now as long as the ignition is swiched on the blower runs can someone help please. Allan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Is it constantly blowing at top speed all the time the ignition is on Allan, and uncontrollable from the speed slider?

If so, you've a short-circuit output transistor in the speed regulator module inside the blower casing. A common enough problem.

It is a reasonable DIY job to repair and a this guide will show you how.

Alternatively, I can repair it for you.

Note that this only applies on a blower running flat-out continuously. Deep in this thread are some other guides to diagnosing blower issues.

Hope that helps...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
allanmc
My Cars:

heater blower

Post by allanmc »

Thanks for getting back so soon is it a big job getting the module out. Allan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, remove the felt trim under the pasenger side dash (the same piece you'd remove to access the pollen filter) and the blower assembly will be seen.

It is held in with three screws. Remove it after disconnecting the wiring to it.

Remove the motor assembly from the pastic case and the regulator module will then be clearly seen. It's held in with two screws.

Clogzz has some pictures of the blower assembly. Maybe soon he'll pop up and post them :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
allanmc
My Cars:

heater blower

Post by allanmc »

Jim, Its me again got the blower motor out and then decided as I am going on holiday next week I will leave it until I come home just incase I have problems. Thanks again Allan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No worriees Allan, I'll be here when you return :wink:

Enjoy your holiday :D
Jim

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

:mrgreen:

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
allanmc
My Cars:

heater blower

Post by allanmc »

CitroJim wrote:No worriees Allan, I'll be here when you return :wink:

Enjoy your holiday :D
Jim back from holiday a couple of weeks now and just now getting back to the blower motor, noticed on one of your old threads you were saying that sometimes the resistors were ok but the fan kept running at full speed so I am a bit confused, I dont want to start unsoldering the resistors from the module if they are not the problem I am still hurting a bit about the headlight switch I bought and the old one was ok so could you help me please
Allan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Allan,

Hope you enjoyed a great holiday :D

Generally, there is only one fault the speed regulator module causes and that's a flat-out blower as soon as the ignition comes on. Normally, the blower will not start until the engine has been running for a few seconds.

Generally if the blower only starts at top speed after the engine is running, you can discount the speed regulator as being the problem.

This thread should help diagnose if it's the blower regulator module.

The two transistors on the module can be checked in-situ for shorts using a multimeter on the low ohms range. When thehose transistors go short, they do so very definitely. Check between emitter and collector.
Jim