Should I buy it this Xantia? Help a newbie.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Heavy

Should I buy it this Xantia? Help a newbie.

Post by Heavy »

Hello, I am new to this forum, indeed new to Citroen.

I have read page upon page from this forum so far and it has been a great help. Much respect to those who pass on their knowledge to the uninitiated.

Let me begin. My sister needed a car, and as is the way in our family, I got the job of getting her a good one. Needed to be a comfortable diesel and in budget.

I found a 2001 Xantia HTD with with 130k and full Citroen SH.

Having no knowledge of these cars, this site was invaluable in getting me to a point where I would know roughly what I was looking at.

However, having looked at and driven the car I still have a couple of issues which I would like to comfortable with before I commit to buy the car for her, so any advice much appreciated.

Here goes, The lever to change the height settings is quite stiff and while I was moving it up and down while stationary and engine running, on occasion it did not go to the position selected, or sometimes front didn't (I had to go from high to low then to normal etc) I have read in threads about the small plastic clip which can cause problems for normal setting but I think it also didn't go to high or low at times.-do you think this is the clip problem or is it possibly something else?

Four spheres are documented as being changed in the summer of 2005, but the owner says he thinks they were also done 2-3 years ago. What are peoples thoughts on this. (Please remember this is my first encounter with them so don't know about timescales or the effects of tired ones).

Also, the fluid indicator has two markers, one bright orange, one amber. On normal setting the amber one is just above the second line (the needle may actually be hitting the top of the window)-Do you think this an issue or does it just need the turkey basted treatment?

Also, (again) when riding in the back there was a fairly quiet rattle from the rear. When stationary and bouncing the rear of the car it was a quite precise click/knock. The spare wheel felt quite secure. Any thoughts?

General condition of the car was very good, the service history was very comprehensive including timing belt, the engine felt strong and the ride was smooth and a little floaty. The car needs two tyres now and another two in the not too distant.

So, I have provisionally agreed a price of £950. Any thoughts on that?

I really do appreciate the way people pass on their knowledge of these cars which I am told are fantastic, but to the newcomer can also seem a little scary. Cheers, Damian.
Last edited by Heavy on 22 Jun 2009, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hello and welcome new person.
The only comments I would add about your prospective purchase is;
£950 sounds a bit steep, I just sold a 2000 HDi with 125k and FSH, only managed to scrape £650 :shock: But in saying that I also just paid £1300 for a V6, I believe things are worth what your willing to pay for them, if your happy theres no problem.

The other point what trim level is the car (i.e. Forte,LX,SX,Exclusive) I had a Forte (low spec) the seats were very hard and uncomfortable, not noticeable at first but after 3 years I was glad to see them go.

I'm sure some more knowledgeable people will be along to discuss the suspension points.

Oh the LHM level is correct when the orange disc is between the two red lines, with the car on 'high' setting.

*edit spelling
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi Damian
and welcome to this forum

if the nylon link had poped of the car would either go right up or wright down, if the car seems to ride well i would think the link/s are still attatched as that is what conects the hight corrector's (one each end of car) to each anti roll bar,

the usual thing is the hight corrector mechanisum partly or fully sieze's up, the only way to free it up long term is remove it from the car and work it whilst lubricating the pivot points, the H/C's very seldom give trouble themselfs,

the citro blood (LHM) level indicator, raise the car up fully on high on level ground then the yellow/bright orange disc (top one) should be between the two red lines, the only prob with it beeing higher is the tank might overflow and make a mess,

all the lower copper disc dose is shorts out the two terminals in the bottom of the sight glass to put on the low level warning lamp

regards malcolm
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

i) The "sticking" lever and uncertain suspension height movement could indicate stiff or semi seized height correctors (front and/or rear). May just need a good greasing.

ii) The knock/click from the rear when bouncing may be of more concern as it sounds like rear radius arm bearings that are failing. (see other post here for what is involved). Depending where you go can cost to do both sides between about £250 (at a reliable local garage or Cit independent ) and £££££ at a main dealer ! If you do it yourself it is probably realistically a day a side and about £80 in bits (Kits from GSF).

The rear suspension will still feel free and smooth but the click/knock is due to the bearing sticking/binding because it has fully or partly collapsed due to lack of lubrication, wear and corrosion.

At some point as the bearing continues to fail the wheels will lean inward and the rear tyres start to wear preferentially on the inside edge.

The mileage is about right for rear bearings - usually between 120k and 180k depending on type and rate of use.

Regards

John

Regards
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

fred1 wrote:Hi,

ii) The knock/click from the rear when bouncing may be of more concern as it sounds like rear radius arm bearings that are failing. (see other post here for what is involved). Depending where you go can cost to do both sides between about £250 (at a reliable local garage or Cit independent ) and £££££ at a main dealer ! If you do it yourself it is probably realistically a day a side and about £80 in bits (Kits from GSF).

This Could be true, But S2 cars dont seem to suffer too much.. Its CAN also be the height controller linkages, as per Malcolms sugestion.. I also know this from personal issues..

I have just done the Rear Arm bearings on the S1 Xantia TD I got, 1994 vintage, BUT with new spheres on the rear, the back bounces up and down SOOOOOOOO softly, but I still get a small click from the rear, this is, I found, the height corrector auto level lever on the height corrector control unit.. as its slightly sticky... It is constantly moving with the anti roll bar, and so if its a bit sticky pops back and forth.. It doesn't worry me just now as its still does move.. It will be desperate when the clip drops off, or clamp breaks... :D :D

Rgds
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Honest opinion?.......If it was me, for the money being asked, id leave it and move onto another. You can pick up a good one for between £650 and £900 dependant on year and spec. With Xantias, the most important thing is how they have been looked after more so than what year they are or HDI or TD.

Ive bought good ones and one "nail" in my time and if you buy one that hasnt been looked after, like i did, then it can empty your pockets pretty quickly :? That said, these are brilliant cars, and get a good one and you will not find any other car in my opinion that offers you the same package of luxury motoring and cheap running costs for the price :wink:

By far the best way to buy a Xantia, is to take someone with you who knows them. A Citroen independant may cost you £40 to come and do an inspection but honestly its money well spent :wink:

I know how to buy a good Xantia and work in the trade, but it I was say going to buy an XM which i havent owned, i would follow my own advice on an experienced inspection.....there is no substitute for experience

Good luck :)

Vince
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Heavy

Post by Heavy »

Thanks for the advice people.

I feel that the car would be a good one, but don't think I am sure enough to put my sister's money into it.

Any more thoughts??

Further thoughts on the price??

Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

I feel that the car would be a good one, but don't think I am sure enough to put my sister's money into it.
I think you have answered your own question.
I would say when in doubt walk away. Theres plenty more Xantias for sale, in fact I'm starting to see some C5's arround that price now; a quick search on auto trader revealed 3 C5's under £1,000 and quite a few more just over.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P