A call for help from Activa owners

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TehAgent
My Cars:

A call for help from Activa owners

Post by TehAgent »

I own a 406 2lt turbo exec, with the same engine as a activa. now the problem i have is no boost to my turbo, this problem first reared its head about 6 weeks ago, when the turbo decided that it didn't want to do anything, next day it was fine again? but now its back.

Now Ive had it on a Lexia (thanks CitroJim :) ) and it returned the fault "short to live on the boost controller" now if there is a problem somewhere else it cant read, i think this is the fault its showing up, i have been scrappers and replaced the boost controller. plus had citrojim test the old one, ive unplugged the ECU and reset it (i hope) but still no joy.

Ive checked all pipe work to see if there was any leaks, but alas nothing, Ive checked this thread (see below), and will start a pipe test to see if any have anything stuck in them.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... sc&start=0

Other than that, anyone else got any handy hits tips or advice?
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Wotcha Ian, "short to live on the boost controller" sounds electrical to me.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Andy, are you busy today? also can you ring me please.

Well just had the pipes off, and there is no blockage, I've checked all the wires (well as much as i can see) but nothing looks remotely damaged nothing is in a place that will get its self in to mischief and everything looks exactly like it usually does.

Thing is, it said "short to live on boost controller" but when Jim did the click test, it was clicking like mad, so not sure how a short to live would let him do that?

Also, not sure if that code was even correct given it was pretending to be a activa and not a 406, some really nice RAC guy on his day off, popped his computer thing on it, and it turned up no faults the day after Jim cleared them, so although the turbo didn't spring back into life, it didn't bring the fault back either, so now im none the wiser.

Also the BOL doesn't cover the petrol turbo models (typical) so i cant even consult that.

Ive had a look at the actuator arm, and seen if it has some play, its stiff as a board unless i give it a good yank, then it sounds all rusty springy, so might even be that but then, im only guessing its the actuator arm, its attached to the turbo anyway lol.

No boost is a nightmare to drive, especially pulling out of busy roundabouts
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

Whip the induction pipe off the turbo & turn the shaft, it should turn easily.

If its tight/sticking that may be the problem, ive seen a turbo do the same many years ago. A bit of spirited driving would probably sort it if that's the problem.

Also the actuator arm should be tight with the preload on it, check that its not sticking open.
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

No messing about, fit a boost gauge to see exactly what its done. Its rare for the fault to be the turbo, usually split pipes or bust intercooler.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

I have a Atmos DV on it, there is no boost what so ever, even if i put a boost gauge on it, its not even going to register lol. no air come from the DV once you release the throttle.

One thing i did notice was a nice Air rushing noise coming from (check this diagram for reference) http://membres.lycos.fr/ci6web/auto/activa/note_72.jpg

the part that isn't numbered, but sits on this picture below the number 4 and the black swoopy arrow. its not numbered in that picture but that's the part that's making the "air rushing" sound i never noticed this before. I've checked all hoses even had the car on 2 post car lift, and doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the turbo from what i can tell.

Aside from taking the turbo off and having a look, i really cant think of what would be causing it.
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

If your dumpvalve is the piston type ill bet the piston is jamming, remove it & plug the hole see if that solves it...

Id still check the turbo myself though, only need to whip the hose off that goes to the airfilter & turn the shaft. If the engine has had poor maintenance the turbo could be caked up with carbon deposits.
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Ill give it a try in the morning, but i really doubt its that.

The DV works fine, closes on throttle, opens when no throttle. piston on it works fine.

Cars had a regular service for the last 88 thousand miles, an its still only done 97k to date.

Though as stated ill have a look an report back tomorrow. surprised CitroJim hasn't popped up yet lol
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

TehAgent wrote:I surprised CitroJim hasn't popped up yet lol
Hi Ian :D

That's because I've been out in the garden (jungle) making it look a little more cared for :lol:

I still think you'll find a split pipe or intercooler. Did you do the test involving the disconnection of the black rubber pipe on the hot pipe to prove the integrity of the intercooler? Basically, disconnect the pipe and with the engine idling, slap you hand across the downwind side. The pipe should start to collapse and near enough stall the engine. If it makes no difference you have a leak between the intercooler and the inlet manifold.

The waste gate could still be suspect. Did you check carefully the actuator hose for splits right at the actuator?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

If the actuator hose is split it will up the boost Jim as there is no control over the wastegate, It would work like a bleedvalve :wink:

If its flat all the time it could be a boost leak, but if its working fine most of the time i doubt that it is.

Best way to check for leaks is to whack a bar of pressure in the boost cct with a compressor, that will show any leaks. To do this test ideally you want a boost gauge plumbed in & need to block the airfilter pipe.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

If the wastegate is loose (it is controlled and tensioned by the actuator) then there will be little or no boost. This wouldnt happen overnight, it would be a gradual process which is why i would be jumping on the boost leak bandwagon, but still check it.

And as said above, a split actuator hose will cause high/limitless/uncontrolled boost
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

If you have a boost leak while your turbo is working properly, I would expect a lot of hissing noise from the leak. Accelerate with the window open and the noise should be obvious. If there's no noise then a leak isn't likely.

It sounds to me like a turbo problem. Probably a stuck waste gate. If this is open then you'll not get any boost.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

right, here's the low down.

Symptoms

How it acted before

At idle, dump valve piston open, air flow coming from it.
give it some throttle, using the throttle wire, would rev and the dump valve piston would close, upon reaching 2.4k revs and returning to idle you get the chavvy Pssst sound as the dump valve opens and a large dump of air to atmos

How its acting after.

At idle, dump valve piston open, no airflow coming from it what so ever, it cant even move a rizla.
Giving it some revs using the throttle cable, dump valve piston closes, gets to 2.4k revs release the throttle cable back to idle, returns the dump valve piston to open, no air flow what so ever no chavvy Pssst sound

last time it did this, i was in mccy D's. started the car, pulled out onto the A45 an no turbo, had no turbo all that night, next day started the car, went to mccy D's for a breakfast, pulled out onto the A45, turbo kicked in?

Sat there like "Wtf"?

Worked perfectly all the way up until the other day, when it went again,

If there is no air flow along the pipe to the DV, wouldn't that be coming from the inter cooler? as far as im aware there really isn't any mad gushing of air sound coming from anywhere other than what i stated i could hear air from, an even that soon as you rev the engine the sound stops. so has to be going someplace else. it might be a stuck impeller, but not sure i have the tools or space required to take any of the pipes off the turbo.

But im leaning more towards stuck waist gate. if so how hard is that going to be to fix? its a bit of a tight squeeze up in there as it is
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Jim did that test with said pipe work, the hose did indeed collapsed, even the pipe on the other side of the inter-cooler (tube 5 in the second picture) collapsed and almost stalled the car.

So far its looking more and more like a waist gate problem, have been on the 406 owners club forum, there is a detailed diagram of the lay out of the turbo tubing. here Lemmie post the pictures, it will make for easier referencing

on the actuator, what way should the arm be moving when the system is off, at the moment it moves towards the actuator and is at rest at the turbo housing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ian,

If you want to take a trip down to my place at some point you can see an Activa turbo on the bench to help you understand exactly how the wastegate works. Not tomorrow afternoon though, I have a prior appointment with the girls; their Majorette troop are performing at one of our local shows and parental attendance is mandatory...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...