Rear of car sometimes seems hard

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantic
My Cars: In the past French ones
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
V reg Xantia Exclusive 2.0 hdi
BX Diesel 1.7
C5 2.2 Diesel exclusive auto.

Rear of car sometimes seems hard

Post by Xantic »

Only now and again, it seems when i go over a bump it bangs sometimes and other times just glides over the same bump.

Do you think it may be the rear spheres or something else..The car looks to be normal height..

What are these magic box things they sell on ebay that you wire into the loom,anyone ever tried one or are they rubbish.. I notice that posts do not include an ebay link on this forum just the item number so i shall do the same for this box....200345139910..I do not want to break any rules if there are any..

Whats your thoughts..?
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Mines the same, I'm sure it's not quite right but I haven't got around to tracing any possible fault. When I get time I'm gonna pull the ECU apart. I fitted the diodes a while back but there still seems to be something not quite right.

Unless they're all like that. sir :roll:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Rear of car sometimes seems hard

Post by myglaren »

Xantic wrote:I notice that posts do not include an ebay link on this forum just the item number so i shall do the same for this box....200345139910..I do not want to break any rules if there are any..
There is no rule against posting a link but they can get very long and messy unless they are contracted thusly.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Depending on your speed, the car may switch to firm mode when going over speed bumps. Which is a shame - I'd prefer a "Comfort" switch which kept the H2 in soft mode to the Sport switch.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If the diodes have gone, the magic box works a treat.

Before fitting one though, do a simple check of listening to the valves with the car stopped and switched off. Wait at least a minute for the car to settle in hard mode (the default when the ignition is off and all doors closed) and then open a door. You should hear both valves click open with a sharp click and they should hum then denoting the holding pulse train from the ECU is keeping themm operated. Shut the door, wait 30 seconds and then you should hear the valves click closed and the hum cease. If you don't hear that, either the diodes have gone or there is something else.

What is absolutly necessary is a Lexia diagnosis. The Hydractive ECU often has stored faults (often the steering sensor) and the presence of these faults causes the ECU to use default values from the sensor generating the (intermittent) fault. It is amazing how much difference just clearing the faults makes to the ride and handling.

If the fault remains, you may have low hydraulic system pressure that is not enough to operate the vales hydraulically or a valve with a mechanical fault although this is rare.

A healthy accumulator on a hydractive car is essential to ensure system pressure remains constantly high.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

Thanks for the replies..Is anyone near me with a Lexia then, I would rather pay another member on here than the stealers..

I will do the test as mentioned and report back.

Ok , I did the test and think i heard a click but as there seems to be a lot of noisy kids in the street tonight i will try it again when its more peacefull.

Russ
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
Kman
My Cars:

Post by Kman »

I had the same problem on mine, turned out to be a rear corner sphere (eventually both). As has been mentioned, the suspension goes into hard mode whenever the front is supressed(by a bump etc.) beyond a certain threshold, and stays in hard mode for a short while, enough however for the rear wheels to pass the same bump.

In my case, the center sphere provided some damping under normal driving conditions, so I didn't become aware of the bad state of the corner spheres, with the center sphere isolated however the rear was very hard and really unpleasant over speed bumps. Since in the beginning only one of the corner spheres where bad, the car was noticeably stiffer on one side.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I thought that my car had intermittantly hard rear suspension, and the rear wa often slow to switch to soft mode (60 seconds) in the morning, but the valves all sounded OK.

The first check (Richard's Lexia) showed no suspension fault. I fitted new spheres, but it still did not feel quite right, 9 months later another check (Jim's Lexia) showed an intermittant rear electovalve. Sometimes when bouncing on the rear of the car with a door open, the suspension was electrically in soft mode (so the ECU was happy) but the suspension was semi-hard, as if the valve was only partlly open.

I added the extra diodes (bought from Maplins and soldered in), and the rear electrovalve now switches instantly. It has now been more than a month, and I have not noticed a single case of the rear being slow to go soft in the morning, or at any other time. So I am now a fan of fitting the extra diodes.
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

Whats this fitting extra diodes and where..Tell me more.. :D
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The magic box on ebay contains 3 diodes (the third is only used on an Activa), with some connecting wires and clip-connectors.

If you are handy with a soldering rion, you can make the same thing yourself, or solder the diodes directly into the harness near the Hydroactive ECU.
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

xantia_v6 wrote:The magic box on ebay contains 3 diodes (the third is only used on an Activa), with some connecting wires and clip-connectors.

If you are handy with a soldering rion, you can make the same thing yourself, or solder the diodes directly into the harness near the Hydroactive ECU.
Is there a how to posted on the forum somewhere as i can't find anything
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

xantia_v6 wrote:with a kit or diy
Thanks for the info..All i need now is what diodes to buy, I am a bit confused as to where they go but that could be the beer.. :D

I have noticed that when i park on my drive which has a slight incline, then when i pull off it seems hard..If i am parked on a flat road before starting it levels itself and no hard ride at all.. It does take a while after leaving my drive to setlle and become a soft ride, even though i let it tick over for at least 2 mins before pulling away..

I need everythin working fine as we are off to Cornwall on holidays in 3 weeks so fingers crossed.
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks for the info..All i need now is what diodes to buy, I am a bit confused as to where they go but that could be the beer.. :D

1N4006

From eBay, Maplins or an alternative electronics supplier.
Last edited by myglaren on 21 Jun 2009, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Any 1 Amp diode of 50 Volt or greater should be OK.

1N4001, or 1N4002, 1N4003, ... or 1N4007 etc. are all suitable.

Maplin stores seem to stock exactly 2 of each voltage rating, so you might have to run through the part numbers if they have sold any recently.