Handbrake cables

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Mike wrote
" pressing the wheel end until the inner cable goes back into the equalizer? Is that it, should it 'bite' itself "

yes Mike exactly that,

i usualy fit the cable through all its locatting guide eyelets except the last one on the strut/hub, then locate the inner and outter cable into the sheath on the front of the equalizer box, hold the outter firm then give the calliper end of the inneer a sharp push, you will know when it is in corectly by pulling on the calliper end of the outter

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

try unhooking the O/S cable from the calliper and just push it in just a bit, just in case it is pulling on the equaliser and tilting it the wrong wat for the N/S cable to hook up in side corectly

regards malcolm
bxman
My Cars:

subject

Post by bxman »

What a doddle
UNLESS the nylon tube has twisted.
I ended up removing the mechanism from a scrapper to find the answer.
Inside the box these guide tubes are angled to deflect the Ferrel outwards as the cable is inserted and they also have a slot at the end for the cable to drop (or lift in the case of the lower one) so as to engage with compensator .
{ If you know it is there you can just about feel the slot with your finger }

There is a key to stop them turning but it is not that substantial. One of mine had twisted and it was deflecting the ferrel the wrong way I defy anyone other than a snail to be able to see in there !!
I managed to swap the offending tube and then reflected on the useful things I could have done in the 3 or 4 hours I had wasted ....cest la vie!
_______________-
Patrick

Lpg and other Xantia