Correct Power Steering Fluid Spec?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AirCooledHeaven
Locked user account

Correct Power Steering Fluid Spec?

Post by AirCooledHeaven »

Could anyone tell me the correct power steering fluid to use in a Synergie 2.0 HD1 110HP. Just checked the level which appears OK but it is jet black so I thought I'd change it. Thanks
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im not sure of the exact spec for a Synergie but most cars used to use auto transmission fluid,

do you have the owners manual (the paper one which comes with the car from new),

as it should give you the spec in that

regards malcolm
AirCooledHeaven
Locked user account

Post by AirCooledHeaven »

citronut wrote:im not sure of the exact spec for a Synergie but most cars used to use auto transmission fluid,

do you have the owners manual (the paper one which comes with the car from new),

as it should give you the spec in that

regards malcolm
Mislaid the owners manual unfortunately. I know citroens can be picky about fluids so didn't want to risk sticking generic halfords fluid in...
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I went through the same pain last week trying to get the right fluid for the Xsara PS pump. Three motor factors couldn't help.

In the end I obtained a copy of a Carlube catalogue and used their "Power Steering Fluid - Universal" - which is what it also recommends for your Synergie.

Autotrans fluid is similar in that it has anti-foaming additives and I used TQ Dexron in the old Montego's PS pump, as recommended, for years. During the tortuous search for the right fluid for the Xsara I'm fairly certain that Dexron III would also be suitable but as I could get the right stuff I didn't go down that route.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

It is Dot 4 for the C5. i have no knowledge of the Synergie, but any Citroen dealer should tell you in a telephone call, after all it is not a "trade secret"
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

jmd wrote:It is Dot 4 for the C5. i have no knowledge of the Synergie, but any Citroen dealer should tell you in a telephone call, after all it is not a "trade secret"
Brake fluid?! Surely not!
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

jonathan_dyane wrote:
jmd wrote:It is Dot 4 for the C5. i have no knowledge of the Synergie, but any Citroen dealer should tell you in a telephone call, after all it is not a "trade secret"
Brake fluid?! Surely not!
Definitely not - LDS!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

jmd wrote
"It is Dot 4 for the C5"

AirCooledHeaven
is asking about power steering fluid, not brake fluid

DOT 4 is standerd brake fluid, if you put that in your power steering you will destroy the system,

the only time i have seen a diferant type of fluid to some type/s of AUTO TRANSMISSION fluid in power steering, was in a late'ish VW which i belive is something like LHM and is around 5 to 6 squid a litre

regards malcolm
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry- wrote that late at night, and thought we were discusing brakes. No synergie experience.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

jmd wrote:Sorry, Sorry, Sorry- wrote that late at night.
Well it certainly made a few people wake up!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Thanks Paul-R. It might be an idea to contact TOTAL the oil people, whose products are used in most Citroens, for advice on this matter. It is probably one of their products which is used in the Synergie POWER STEEING - Apologies again for the earlier mistake. I had a similar problem last year with a Saxo, oil was quite discoloured, and I emptied the steering container several times (by suction) adding new oil each time, starting the car, and moving the steering each time. Exchanged the oil several times, before the original colour was somewhat restored.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

jmd wrote
" I had a similar problem last year with a Saxo,"

what brake fluid in the power steering, TEA HE YER OK just tell me to BBB OFF, i dont get out much

back on TOPIC
just speak to your local motor factors as they have catalouge's/oil charts statting exactly the right spec for most car's

regards malcolm
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

citronut wrote:just speak to your local motor factors as they have catalouge's/oil charts statting exactly the right spec for most car's
That was exactly what I did and as I said earlier 3 factors couldn't help. One even said it was a dealer only fluid!

The Xsara service handbook book says that Total fluide ATX should be used - which is dealer only I guess. I can't put my hands on the piece of paper I wrote all my information down on but I also went on to the Millers, Castrol (and a few others) web sites for research. None gave a definitive answer. It was only when I did the investigation myself that I came to an answer.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

my local motor factor say if they have the reg they will be able to tell me what fluid to use in your power steering,

also if it turns out to be Total fluide ATX acording to AEP who list this, it states on the can it is compatable with DEXRON 2,

hope this helps

regards malcolm
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

FLUIDE DA
SYNTHETIC HYDRAULIC FLUID
USES
- Synthetic fluid of orange colour especially developped for electro-hydraulic power steering systems (EHPS) of passenger cars (Peugeot, Citroën, Renault…)
- Approved for use in centralized hydraulics of commercial vehicles requiring a synthetic hydraulic fluid
- Is particularly recommended for power steering systems of all Peugeot and Citroën cars in Great Cold conditions of use
- Do not use when a mineral fluid of fluo green colour is requested ( LHM Plus ).
PROPERTIES
- Super multigrade fluid with an exceptionally high viscosity index and a very low pour point, allowing functionality of hydraulic systems at extremely low temperatures
- Very high thermal stability for fill for life use whenever authorized by the manufacturer
- Very good protection against wear and corrosion and optimal protection of the components of the hydraulic systems
- Excellent lubricating properties even at very low and very high temperature
- Contributes to improve comfort of use and durability
CHARACTERISTICS
FLUIDE DA
Units
Typical values
Volumetric mass at 15°C
kg/m3
Viscosity at - 40°C
mm²/s
1 050
Viscosity at 40°C
mm²/s
Viscosity at 100°C
mm²/s
Viscosity index
-
Flash point Cleveland
°C
Pour point
°C
The typical characteristics mentionned represent mean values.
SPECIFICATIONS
PSA S71 2710
MAN 3289
Renault PSF Class 1
Caution
This fluid has to be used with a very high stress on cleanliness
TOTAL LUBRIFIANTS
16, rue de la République
92800 PUTEAUX
Fluide DA
Sheet updated : 03/2008
Sticker reference : MPR/11/2003
This lubricant, when used in accordance with our recommendations and for the application for which it is intended, does not constitute a special hazard
A safety data file conforming to the requirements of current EC legislation is available from your local trade consultant.
May be of use to you, (copied from Total website.) Hope I am not infringing the copyright laws.